‘Cats split doubleheader in season opener

991efe9a-cf28-44cc-b7e7-3252f770aa49forweb.jpg
Junior Wildcat Amanda Cordeiro hits the ball towards left field Feb. 12, during a match against University of Hawaii-Hilo. Photo credit: John Domogma

After mother nature prevented them from playing last weekend, the softball season finally got under way as the Wildcats took one out of two games against the Hawaii-Hilo Vulcans.

The first game was a pitchers duel that ended in a 2-0 win for Hawaii-Hilo.

Freshman pitcher Haley Gilham was out dueled in her first start as a Wildcat by the Vulcan’s senior pitcher Vanessa Salinas.

The Vulcans scored the only runs of the game in the second inning with back-to-back doubles.

Gilham pitched a complete game allowing six hits, two earned runs, and one strikeout.

Chico State’s offense was kept under wraps as they finished with only two hits and no runs.

It took until the fourth inning with two outs for the ‘Cats to get anyone on base.

The momentum turned during the second game as the Wildcats won 4-1.

Senior infielder Kelli Keefe knocked in the first run of the season for the team when she singled to drive in junior outfielder Ashley Huff in the third inning.

Huff and sophomore outfielder Cailin Garmon added two more runs in the fourth with RBI’s of their own.

Sophomore Tori Zimmermann topped off the ‘Cats offense with a solo home run in the fifth inning.

Junior pitcher Brooke Langeloh pitched a complete game to earn her first victory of the season. She finished with five hits, eight strikeouts, and one earned run.

The softball team plays another doubleheader on Sunday against Southern Oregon at home.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.