Tapingo taps out student budgets

tapingo web
Illustration by Katherine Kurz Photo credit: Katherine Kurz

A college student’s dream— having fast food delivered to your doorstep. The convenience of Tapingo’s new delivery service was a godsend to me when I first heard about it.

Having fast food delivered is not only a quick, unhealthy option for a meal, but pricy as well. Not every item is on Tapingo’s menu and on top of a delivery fee, there is also an option to tip. The tip is usually pre-selected based on how much the order came out to.

Although having fast food delivered to you may sound amazing, it can be tempting and very quickly become an addiction, despite the fact that it isn’t a free service.

The convenience of ordering food from an app on your phone makes it very hard to not abuse its service. Going out to pick up food seems like more of a hassle than ever. Cooking seems out of the question because who wants to spend the time making their meal after a long day? Combine all these factors and imagine not having a car, license or bike and ordering fast food to be delivered to you sounds like a great idea.

Until that happens almost every night.

That was what happened to me. I began depending on Tapingo so often that I didn’t realize how much money I was losing by ordering food every night instead of walking over to Safeway.

As convenient as apps like Tapingo are, there is also an inconvenience placed on my bank account when I rely on it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love having In-n-Out delivered to me at the touch of a button (and a 40-minute wait), but I also like having leftover money in my bank account at the end of the week.

Budgeting can be hard to do in college, but as students, we can use all the money we get. So splurge on Tapingo once a week (or every once in a while) but don’t make it habit, or you might end up with a Double Double tonight and no food until your next paycheck.

Kristina Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @kristinacsuc on Twitter.