Chico State drops championship game against Cal State Stanislaus

mensbasketball108 (798x800).jpg
    Giordano Estrada tries to get around a Seattle Pacific defender earlier this season. Orion file photo.

The third time would not be a charm for the Chico State men’s basketball team as it lost to Cal State Stanislaus, 82-70, in the final game of the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament.

It was the first loss for the ‘Cats this season where the team was defeated by double digits.

From tip-off, the Warriors controlled the game and did not allow Chico State to lead at any point. With 9:19 left in the first-half, Cal State Stanislaus would lead by 10 points, 22-12.

From that point to the end of the game, the ‘Cats would trail by 10 or more points.
    The biggest lead for the Warriors was by 20 points. Chico State went into the half down 38-24.

One area where Chico State won was in the turnover column. The ‘Cats caused 17 turnovers and scored 27 points off those turnovers. While the Warriors only scored seven points off seven turnovers.

The Warriors shot 60.9% from the field and attacked the basket all night. The ‘Cats only shot 43.8% and lost the battle on the boards. Cal State Stanislaus outrebounded Chico State 40-21.

Three players scored in double figures for the ‘Cats. Rashad Parker led the team with 17 points and Amir Carraway had 16. Jordan Semple finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.

Chico State fell to 22-7 overall and will now wait for the NCAA Championship Tournament selection show on Sunday to find out its seeding. The announcement is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
    @sergechez on Twitter.