Journalist trades in pen for guitar

Jessica Brouwer<br>Staff Writer

Cafe Flo’s colorful interior, warm drinks, grilled sandwiches and John Montgomery’s folk music welcomed listeners May 4.

Montgomery filled the small coffee shop with his sincere music, acoustic guitar, rich voice and folk lyrics. His voice was relaxing, smooth and blended perfectly with his guitar, but his real emphasis was on lyrics. Montgomery’s lyrics were creative, like “My smile explodes in fragments of rain.”

During the set, he played his own songs as well as covers of Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” and “When I Paint My Masterpiece.”

“When I Paint My Masterpiece” is also on Montgomery’s CD, “One Step Away.” Montgomery’s version of “Like a Rolling Stone” was his most energetic song of the night. It seemed as though he was trying to imitate Dylan’s style. Montgomery didn’t quite pull it off because his voice is more smooth and melodic than Dylan’s.

Montgomery said most of his lyrics are influenced by literature, but Dylan’s songwriting has influenced him.

“He’s a real poet. He has a literary depth that you don’t see in a lot of songwriters,” Montgomery said. “He can really see into the depths of the world.”

Like Dylan, Montgomery’s lyrics are made up of beautiful poetry, but they have less of a focus on social commentary. Montgomery’s songs have the ability to leave listeners feeling full of love, but a tiny bit sad.

Montgomery said he has also been influenced by Carl Jung, a psychologist and author who explored the subconscious and dreams. Montgomery said a lot of his writing is inspired by dreams.

“The state you’re in (when you are) in dreams is closer to the truth than when you’re awake,” Montgomery said.

He started getting serious about songwriting when he first heard Dylan around the age of 20. After a long relationship that ended in the middle of graduate school, he woke up and realized he wanted to be a songwriter. He finished school, became a journalist and tried to do music at the same time, Montgomery said.

It got to the point where he decided he just wanted to do music, Montgomery said.

He gave up a job as a science reporter for The Washington Post and finally began touring on the West Coast last summer.

Later this month he will be heading to the East Coast and Europe to tour. Montgomery said he only has a few gigs set up, but this trip will help him make connections for the future.

Jessica Brouwer can be reached at

<a>[email protected]</a>