Baseball team wins final game in series

Elizabeth Varin

April 20, 2008Chico State won its senior day game against Cal State Dominguez Hills, 6-1. This game also gave the Wildcats the sweep in their series against the Toros.

Though the Wildcats’ scoreboard read zeros for the last five innings, they still outscored the Toros by five runs.

The team just wanted to “try to win the ball game for those guys who are graduating,” said head coach Dave Taylor.

The team wanted to end the series on a good note, he said.

The first three runs were scored on three hits in the second inning. The first was off of a hit by first baseman Nick Dingman. He soon joined his teammate at home base as a pop up to deep right was dropped. One more RBI brought the Wildcats to an early lead, which they boosted in the next two innings.

The ‘Cats scored another two in the third inning and another one in the fourth, bringing their total to six by the end of the fourth inning.

Cal State Dominguez Hills was able to make one run in the sixth as a grounder to center field brought the Toros player set at third base home.

In the next inning Kyle Woodruff took over for the Wildcats’ starting pitcher Joel Garcia. Garcia had only let one run through in the six innings that he played, so he marked the win for the Wildcats.

Woodruff came in as a relief pitcher and kept the team’s lead by retiring nine, allowing one base hit and one walk. This was a good feat for the pitcher who has a three-loss record for this season.

This was also Woodruff’s last year as a Wildcat. He is one of nine players who will be graduating.

Elizabeth Varin can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>