Senior captains cruise through final year

Adam Arella<br>Assistant Sports Editor

In the spring of 2001, under the shade of an old oak tree where Yolo Hall presently stands, a pack of lacrosse enthusiasts met to bring forth success that the school and sport had never before shared.

Senior captains Jesse Locke, Mike Webber and Nick Horton were three of those individuals who gathered to create the winning tradition now enjoyed by the Chico State men’s lacrosse team.

“That used to be our practice and our game field,” Locke said. “I saw seven guys playing lacrosse and using trash cans as goals.”

Since then, the team has come a long way. Chico went from losing every Division I game on the schedule during the 2000-2001 season to making the national tournament last year.

Locke has continued to improve on his team’s success this year, going from 10 goals and four assists last season to a mark of 16 and seven, and he ranks third in scoring with 1.23 goals per contest.

Head coach Rob Warner knew of Locke’s talent before assuming his current position after coaching him on the USA West Lacrosse team that traveled to compete in China and Japan in 2000.

“With Jesse, he’s not only an integral part of our offense, but also an integral part of our team,” Warner said. “His effort and dedication to this team is just unmatched.”

Teammate and fellow senior captain Webber agreed with Warner, saying that Locke has helped him during his tenure as a Wildcat in ways that can’t be totaled on a stat sheet.

“He’s brings good leadership skills and works really hard, which is contagious,” Webber said. “He’s able to step it up and help get us through problems on and off the field.”

Webber has also stepped up his play, climbing from a one goal and two assists total last year to 19 goals and one assist so far this year, including a second-place rank in scoring with an average of 1.46 goals per game.

Warner said that besides Webber’s contributions to the team’s goal production this year, his timely scoring has been a pleasant surprise.

“He’s just always in the right place at the right time and scores important goals for us when we need them,” Warner said. “He’s had two overtime game-winners against Cal and Michigan State.”

Warner grew up with Webber in San Diego. The two attended junior high together and were later teammates at Serra High School.

“Mike’s really grown into his role as a senior leader,” Warner said. “Our relationship as player-coach is excellent, and that’s something I was a little worried about coming into this.”

Locke said that Webber has been a great friend off the field while being a great competitor on it.

“He wants to win more than anything and will do what it takes all the time and never stops selling out for the team,” Locke said.

Defensive midfielder Nick Horton, a third senior captain, was the only unanimous captain voted in by the coaches.

“Nick plays defense because it is a specialized role, and he is one of our best athletes and runs his role perfectly,” Warner said.

Horton first began playing lacrosse with Locke as a freshman.

“Nick is a comedian that lightens the mood in any situation, and his motto is ‘lacrosse is a lifestyle, not a sport,'” Locke said.

Webber remembers laughing at Horton more than with him early in their careers, recalling Horton wasn’t a natural at the sport he now surrounds.

“I just remember how goofy he was when he first started playing and how far he has come because of that contrast in his ability,” Webber said. “Nick has helped me get better by making himself better.”

Locke added that in the end, his first and last memories of the team and teammates won’t compete for favorite, but the experience in total will win out.

“I will just really remember coming out those first days and being ‘fresh-meat’ freshmen, and not knowing what was going on, and then instantly having friends you stuck with for years,” he said. “You know, your boys.”

<em>Adam Arella can be reached at <a href= ‘mailto:[email protected]’>[email protected]</a></em>