Chico State Sports Briefs

Local Shorts<strong>Volleyball snaps loosing streak</strong>

The Chico State women’s volleyball team snapped its five game losing streak this weekend by beating Cal State Stanislaus 3-1, according to the Chico State athletics Web site.

Chico improved its record to 8-7 overall, with a 4-7 record in California Collegiate Athletic Association play. Stanislaus remained winless with a 0-16 record overall, including 0-11 in league.

After a slow start, the Wildcats reloaded hitting .262 to the Warriors .156 during the fourth game. Also assisting in the Wildcats win was the 15 service errors.

McKinney charted 16 kills and 12 digs, while Ross totaled 13 kills and 13 digs during the game Friday as Chico won 27-30, 30-22, 30-23, 30-22. National Shorts<strong>CHAMPS/Life Skills program added to NCAA schools</strong>

The National Collegiate Athletic Association will add the Challenging Athletes’ Minds for Personal Success/Life Skills programs to 39 colleges, universities and conference offices, according to NCAA Web site.

The CHAMPS/Life Skills programs were created to provide Student-Athletes with support in its university/college setting, graduation and future professions.

There are currently 433 NCAA member institutions and conference offices participating in the Champs/Life Skills programs. These programs involve goal setting and time management, study skills development and academic support programs — just to name a few.

Division II recently added 16 members to the Champs/Life Skills program.<strong>No privacy for Clarett</strong>

Ohio State University football standout Maurice Clarett filed a federal lawsuit against the university for violating his privacy, according to the USA Today.

Clarett is accusing the university of violating his privacy after it gave police information from a NCAA investigation. Clarett is seeking $2.5 million in damages from his school and a court order, preventing prosecutors from using evidence in a case accusing Clarett of filing a false police report.

Clarett is serving a school suspension for his sophomore year for lying to investigators after accepting money from a family friend.

Separately, Clarett is suing the NFL by asking a judge to throw out a rule preventing him from entering the draft until three the years after his high school graduation.<strong>ACC may get new school</strong>

The Atlantic Coast Conference will hold a conference call Sunday to discuss adding Boston College as the league’s 12th member, according to the USA Today.

The Big East will also discuss its departure on a Nov. 4 meeting in Philadelphia. The cost of moving Boston College is estimated at $1 million.

Prior to Sunday’s meeting, Boston College fell one vote shy of an invitation in June.

<em>– Sports Briefs were compiled by The Orion’s Adam Arella</em>