Men’s golf team, player sit atop leader boards

Vince Abbate

May 7, 2007Junior Art Golden III shot 4-under-par leading the field of 44 players and helping the Chico State men’s golf team settle atop Monday’s leader board after round one of the NCAA Division II West/Northwest Regional Tournament in Lakewood, Colo.

“Today was good,” Golden III said. “I didn’t make any mistakes, but I didn’t make any puts either.”

Golden may not have been solid on the green, but his 33-34-67, four-birdie day was more than enough to help lift the Wildcats to a tournament leading 4-under par, first place on day one of the three-day event.

Junior Greg Marskey carded 1-under-par tying for seventh and Ryan Trask shot even par for the day tied for 11th. Sophomore Kevin Horan recorded 1-over-par — tied for 15th. Senior Nick Green shot a 40-34-74 to finish tied for 21st.

Bad weather was a possible factor the ‘Cats prepared for going into the week’s events at Fox Hollow Golf Course.

The ‘Cats welcomed Monday’s dry weather because it rained on them the previous day in the practice round. Chico State will take its 4-stroke lead into Tuesday expecting the same dry conditions, head coach Keith Thomas said.

“Top to bottom we’re playing well,” Thomas said. “That was the start we were looking for.”

Vince Abbate can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>