Triple threat takes Chico away

entertainment

Angel Huracha

It is rare, stylistically, when an artist blends classic jazz with the contemporary sound of pop. It is a quality that Nellie McKay will display tonight in Laxson Auditorium for a show presented by Chico Performances.

McKay is a singer-songwriter, actress and former stand-up comedian.

Her blend of eccentric lyrics with cabaret and modern pop influences sounds both aged and fresh at the same time.

McKay is an extraordinary artist, said Dan DeWayne, director of university public events.

“Completely comfortable nodding toward great artists from the past while reinterpreting their tunes or writing and singing her own incisive lyrics,” DeWayne said.

McKay’s latest tour, “I Want to Live!” is not a typical jazz show. With the incorporation of her Broadway theater experience, McKay is not just a vocalist with a background band.

The show tells the story of Bay Area-based Barbara Graham, who became the third woman to be executed in the state of California.

The performance is loosely based on the 1958 film with the same title, “I Want to Live!,” that won actress Susan Hayward an Oscar. It depicts the arrest and trial that led to the execution of Graham at San Quentin State Prison in 1955.

Unlike many artists, McKay is vocal with her political opinions. Her incisive lyrics are about human rights and respect, and she is not afraid of offending people.

“Her style is quirky, with a narrative style to songwriting that carries a great grasp of painting a picture with lyrics,” said Jason Lee, a Chico State psychology graduate.

Along with her band, McKay will combine period tunes with her original work to contribute to a stunning night at Laxson Auditorium.

It is important for Chico Performances to strive to bring diverse acts like McKay’s to campus.

Lynn Lewis, a senior liberal arts major, has attended many shows hosted by Chico Performances and has enjoyed them, she said.

“Not only do the students but the whole community benefits from the arts,” she said.

McKay will be performing at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Laxson Auditorium. Tickets are $12 for students.

<hr />

<strong>Angel Huracha can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>