Who’s on first: Chelsea Accursi

Chelsea Accursi

It’s easy to forget about that little CSU nestled away in the redwoods of Northern California.

Arcata, Calif. is a long way away, but ever since the Humboldt State Lumberjacks moved to the California Collegiate Athletic Association, they’ve been a little too close for comfort.

In the fall the ‘Jacks handed out losses to the men’s and women’s soccer teams and the volleyball team. This weekend they did the same for Chico State basketball.

It was no wonder that the ‘Jacks beat the men’s basketball team Saturday night. The ‘Cats are ranked No. 10 to the Lumberjacks’ No. 2 ranking, the team was missing it’s strongest player Jon Baird and already had a dismal road record (1-5?now 1-7).

But when the ‘Jacks snapped the women’s team’s 11-game winning streak despite 25 points each from Amber Simmons and Niki Simons, eyebrows raised.

It’s not that Humboldt State isn’t good, but we’re just not used to the women’s team losing. And neither are they, apparently, since they wouldn’t return any phone calls after their loss to the ‘Jacks.

Let’s hope this loss wasn’t due to “team dynamics” and doesn’t cost us another three players, or we’re going to start having a hard time calling women’s basketball a team, let alone getting any more wins.

Not only have the ‘Jacks just stomped on our basketball program, but now they’re moving in on softball too.

The softball team is just getting back on its feet as the ‘Jacks prepare to start their first softball season in the CCAA. Not only did the preseason coaches’ poll have the Wildcats ranked last, but it also picked the ‘Jacks to win the conference.

The CCAA is referring to the ‘Jacks starting their CCAA “era” as a “perennial power.” Good thing the women won’t have to meet up with this team, which features 2 All-American pitchers, until March.

Either way, the Lumberjacks are shaping up to be formidable rivals. Not to mention, the jerks have football.

All we can do now is hope that the men’s and women’s basketball teams fare better in their rematches, pray that ‘Jacks softball doesn’t live up to its preseason hype and thank God that Humboldt State doesn’t have a baseball team.

Chelsea can be reached at <a href= “mail:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>