Digital jukeboxes can’t compare to originals

entertainment

Leila Rodriguez

Joan Jett saw him standing by one, the Stray Cats needed change for one and Alan Jackson asked not to rock it because his heart wasn’t ready for some Rolling Stones. It even makes an appearance in the video game “Left 4 Dead 2.”

It’s the ancient jukebox machine – the dinosaurs of anyone’s nightlife – giving an already shoddy dive bar more appeal.

Oh, how far one can go with a quarter. A quarter really can buy happiness.

Hardly ever does one see a manual jukebox during this technology-savvy era. Most bars or clubs take the hard work out of providing the night’s tunes.

But jukeboxes are gems in dive bars, especially at Duffy’s Tavern.

From Buffalo Springfield and Bob Dylan to Sam Cooke and Led Zeppelin, Duffy’s selection will make any music connoisseur’s heart flutter. Though Duffy’s Tavern’s jukebox is highly overshadowed by their cheap and strong drinks, it is never ignored.

Regular Duffy’s patron and Chico State graduate Lauren Meuschke considers Duffy’s her “Cheers,” and the jukebox holds a special place in her heart, she said.

“Classic jukeboxes are way more authentic and amazing,” Meuschke said.

With the press of a button, she has happiness at her fingertips.

Fond memories back home in San Diego involve selecting favorites from an old jukebox. A rowdy birthday celebration at Hamilton’s Tavern commenced with great foreign beer and an old friend setting up the evening’s playlist on the bar’s old jukebox. When Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” belted through the speakers, everyone at the bar stopped for a massive sing-along.

A standard playlist for Meuschke contains songs by Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson and Blondie, her go-to artists for any evening at Duffy’s.

“A lot of people don’t appreciate the good classics,” she said.

Scrounging for quarters may not be ideal for most, which makes the newer touch-screen jukeboxes that accept credit cards convenient.

My first time using The University Bar’s touch screen jukebox was a disappointment. Not only could it not read the touch of my fingers, it would constantly go back a page. I find those technical glitches are common among touchscreen jukeboxes.

Electrical engineering student Brent Meline has had the same problem.

“They’re awful to use and pretty much all bad,” he said. “But I’m not expecting much.”

Meline ultimately prefers using the newer jukeboxes, however, because they offer access to the Internet, making his search for favorite songs easier.

“Old jukeboxes don’t have the music I like,” he said. “You never find indie bands.”

The University Bar’s Ecast Touch Me offers Wi-Fi and more song selection than a traditional jukebox. With an alphabetized library and an option for playlists ranging from “Glee” to Tupac, it makes the search for any beloved song painless. Depending on preference and taste, selecting one’s own favorite tune can change a vibe instantly.

When going out for drinks, try playing disc jockey. Either your song selection will annoy the table over or get a crowd singing along. Any response will be rewarding.

Though my pocket book was empty of quarters my first night at Duffy’s, I took mental notes while flipping through what seemed like endless pages of artists.

The DJ doesn’t always have me falling in love. That’s where the old jukebox comes in.

Leila Rodriguez can be reached at

[email protected]