Men’s soccer optimistic despite 0-2 loss

sports

James Rudolph

The Wildcat attack was put to the test last week when the Chico State men’s soccer team fought on the road at UC Davis’ Aggie Stadium. Although the Wildcats fell 2-0 to Division 1 UC Davis, the game left the ‘Cats extremely optimistic for regular season.

Senior Chris Akwaja, First Team All-Regional midfielder/forward, said the experience at Davis was an upwind to a promising year.

“Games like that indicate to us where we are going into the season,” Akwaja said. “It keeps us checked of how collective we are as a team and how ready we are for the upcoming season.”

The depth of the ‘Cats roster will be key this season and returners will be backed with solid team chemistry and fresh legs, which will add diverse talent to the game, said head coach Felipe Restrepo.

“The new guys are adding depth to our team and we are excited about the weeks to come,” Restrepo said. “True freshman Trevor Spurgeon gave us some minutes and did very well.”

Whether playing a scrimmage, regional or league match, each victory is one step closer to a national championship, he said.

“We played our core group in the middle of the game and they looked really good on offense,” Restrepo said.

Last week’s scrimmage was a great opportunity to gain team confidence, junior goalkeeper James Stroud said. Their chances of a National Collegiate Athletic Association National Championship are better than ever.

“We fought really hard and we created a lot of chances, did well and it pumped us up even more,” Stroud said.

The ‘Cats brushed off the 2-0 loss against Davis and have been preparing for their next match-up when they travel to Washington in their first regional game of the season to battle Seattle Pacific University.

“It’s always fun to play up in Seattle,” Restrepo said.

When last season’s expectations were critically low, the ‘Cats proved they should be taken seriously as a team within grasp of a national title. Now ranked eighth nationally in a preseason poll, the ‘Cats feel an unfamiliar pressure.

“We have a bull’s-eye on our back because no one expected us to do well last year,” Akwaja said. “As the weeks are going along, it is important to come together.”

The ‘Cats recognize that it’s early in the season, but their sights remain fixed on winning a national title.

It will all come down to work ethic and just how bad the team wants the title, Stroud said. They will have to prove it in every game.

Restrepo has faith that his team will endure the pressure and return to a postseason that they are already familiar with.

“They’ve seen the playoffs, they’ve seen the NCAA matches and have seen the conference tournament,” Restrepo said. “We are healthy, spirited, and I feel good going into Seattle.”

<strong>James Rudolph can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Mens Soccer Practice
  2. Mens Soccer Practice