Softball falls one run short at home

sports

Allie Colosky

A late rally wasn’t enough to keep the Chico State softball team’s playoff hopes alive. After a weekend of unlucky weather and unlucky pitches, the Wildcats fell to the UC San Diego Tritons 2-1 Monday afternoon.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament started off strong for the ‘Cats with a 3-1 win over Western Washington University. The game went into the history books for junior catcher Hailey Stockman and head coach Angel Shamblin.

Stockman hit her ninth home run of the season that set a new record for Chico State softball. The blast to right field was even sweeter in front of their home stands, Stockman said.

“It’s something that has been in the back of my mind for some time,” she said. “I’ve got nothing to lose so I’m coming out here to do what I do.”

The win pushed Chico’s record to 30-17, which made it the first time in softball’s history to have back-to-back 30-win seasons. The last two years have been Shamblin’s first two with the program.

“Back-to-back 30 wins is great,” Shamblin said. “But the more important thing was getting the win to be in the winners’ bracket.”

Day two of the NCAA tournament continued the ‘Cats roller coaster into history with a 3-1 loss to No. 1-seeded UC San Diego before moving on to a 3-2 victory over Central Washington University.

The first game was a pitch-for-pitch battle between Chico State junior pitcher Sam Baker and UC San Diego pitcher Camille Gaito. Both pitchers earned California Collegiate Athletic Association honors. Baker received Newcomer of the Year.

UC San Diego scored early off an illegal pitch by Baker, and the ‘Cats struggled to send a runner home until the sixth inning when Sam Quadt reached third on a triple and eventually scored off Diana Payan’s single straight up the middle.

Baker and Gaito fought into extra innings before UC San Diego squeezed out the win in the 11th inning with a two-run single by Jennifer DeFazio.

With the loss, Chico State would have to play their second game of the day and knock out Central Washington.

The ‘Cats scored early with an RBI single from senior Christina Wieck in the bottom of the second inning and then pushed their lead to 2-0 after Taylor Hanamaikai walked and eventually reached home on an illegal pitch.

Central Washington tied the game in the top of the fourth with two singles, but junior third baseman Jackie Munoz dropped one into center field to score pinch runner Erin O’Hara. Baker was brought in to seal off Central Washington and added another piece of history to their 2011 playoff ride. With a record of 22-10, Baker matched Kathy Arendsen’s record for most single season victories in Chico State history.

“It makes it tougher, but I need to make my pitches move a little bit more to get ’em to swing,” Baker said of her pitching battle.

Baker credited Munoz and the rest of the defense for stepping up to keep the ‘Cats in the hunt for another NCAA tournament win.

“Our defense works for us really well,” Baker said. “Everyone stepped up defensively 110 percent.”

Adding to the drama of the NCAA championship game were wind, rain and a freak thunderstorm, postponing the game until Monday afternoon when the ‘Cats would face UC San Diego for the second time in a double-elimination round.

“San Diego is a good team,” Shamblin said prior to the face-off.

Junior left fielder Jessie Minch started the rally with a single and reached second base on a sacrifice bunt by Hanamaikai, who also reached first safely due to an error by UC San Diego. When junior center fielder Sam Quadt flew out to left field with one out in the seventh inning, the ‘Cats were desperate for an RBI.

Their prayers were answered with the flashy bat of Payan.

Payan’s single between first and second sent Minch home, tying the score at 1-1 with Stockman approaching the plate.

An eager batter, Stockman popped up to second and the ‘Cats could only play tough defense to ensure extra innings.

After loading the bases following an unfortunate illegal pitch, Baker and the rest of the ‘Cats were stripped of any chance to continue their late rally when UC San Diego scored the game-winning run off a sacrifice bunt that plated Katrin Gabriel.

“It’s hard to take,” senior pitcher Sarah Marcia said. “To think we had it in our hands and now this is it – it’s a heartbreaker for sure.”

Marcia watched her softball career end with tears in her eyes but was proud of the fight the ‘Cats had in them.

“It was a roller coaster, but we ended on a good note,” Marcia said. “There isn’t anyone who will be able to stop these girls next year.”

The ‘Cats finished their season 31-19 only two wins away from advancing to the NCAA West Super Regional.

<strong>Allie Colosky can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Softball
  2. Softball
  3. Softball