Rain falls on track

Colin Thompson

Despite the pouring rain and temperatures in the 40s, the two day Chico Decathlon/Heptathlon Classic opened the season for the 10-event and seven-event competitions last weekend at Chico State.

Eight women and 14 men from five colleges competed in the two-day ordeal, the women in the heptathlon and the men in the decathlon.

The decathlon consists of three races, the 100-meter, 400-meter and 1,500-meter, as well as the long jump, shot put, high jump, javelin, 110-meter hurdles discus and pole vault.

The heptathlon consists of the 100-meter hurdles, shot put, high jump, long jump, javelin, 200-meter and 800-meter.

Both multi-events are considered harder because the individual events tie together. The Chico Classic is the first multi-event of the season, which drew a small crowd. Many of the athletes see the Chico Classic as a warm-up and testing ground for the rest of the season.

“We only get two or three of those opportunities a year,” coach Oliver Hanf said. “It’s our first meet of the year, and we’re looking to kick it up a notch from eight months of training.”

The second day of the classic was wet, but as Hanf said, track and field events carry on rain or shine.

Chico State fielded four women and one man, with three Chico State men competing out of uniform.

Cameron Scott, a first-time decathlete came in 10th place and said the events were more difficult when put together. He is looking ahead to improving for the Cal Multi-Event at Berkeley, which is about a month away.

“From what I’m used to, all of it was hard,” Scott said. “I was actually a little afraid I wasn’t going to finish, I hurt my knee for a second, but it’s fine now.”

Scott used the events as a learning experience, he set personal records in both pole vault and javelin throw and came in 25 seconds off of his goal of 4 minutes, 40 seconds for the 1500-meter.

“Before races you always try to size people up, and you can’t put anything past anyone,” Scott said. “Beforehand I was thinking a little highly of myself, and it really is a humbling experience.”

Benji Chamberlain, a senior at Chico State, came in second in the decathlon for the second year in a row. Chamberlain, however, entered the event unattached as he has used up his eligibility to represent Chico State in track and field.

Chamberlain has been competing in decathlons since high school. He has competed against world champion Brian Clay at two nationals.

“Without injuries, I’m hoping to go to nationals and maybe the Olympic Trials,” Chamberlain said.

Elle Cruikshank appeared in her first Chico heptathlon, but she has competed before for Santa Ana College.

“I was happy with my high jump and my 800,” Cruikshank said. “I was an inch away from my PR in high jump. And my goal was to run under 2:30, and I ran 2:30.”

Cruikshank has already set new goals for high jump and 800-meter. She’ll get to test herself again at the upcoming Berkeley meet. She also got more practice running the hurdles at the CCAA North Opener.

The season is off and running, and the athletes only have two more multi-events this season, but track and field events are almost every weekend. The Wildcats attended the CCAA North Opener, the day after the Chico Classic ended. And the team will be hosting Wildcat Relays this weekend.

Colin Thompson can be reached at<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>