Food Column: Beet red

features
opinion/columnists

Annie Paige

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stalked the grocery store aisles without giving a damn about where the items in my cart come from. My primary goal: What can I get in large amounts for the cheapest price?

Yeah, that’s probably not the healthiest question to have in mind.

Before factory farming was widespread, people knew where their food came from, because earlier that morning they had hacked the head off the chicken that now sat on their plate.

Now we go into grocery stores to buy processed chicken that was flopped into plastic containers and slipped into plastic wrap.

Sure, you may not have as much time on the clock as some colonials did, but it’s worth investing in your health, if only to give yourself the good feeling that comes with eating right.

Instead of using natural ingredients, we have enriched flour and food coloring.

In the past, instead of using red food coloring bottles with little drip tops, they used whatever natural ingredients surrounded their living space.

One of these ingredients was beets.

Believe it or not, beets can be added to pretty much any baked goods recipe to replace red food coloring, included red velvet cupcakes. If you’re worried about the possible rank taste of beets tainting your treats, don’t fret.

Eat one of these and then try to tell me that you still don’t like beets.

Get in touch with your roots, whether the roots of the colonial past or the beet kind of roots. Indulge yourself.

<strong>Annie Paige can be reached at </strong><a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Annie Paige
  2. F.Food.AP.1BW.jpg