Weekly Top Five: Reasons not to get body piercings

opinion

Tara Miller

Ear piercings, nose rings, lip rings, dermals, you name it. You can pierce just about any part of your body, but there are side effects to getting some of these. Here is a list of reasons why you shouldn’t get certain piercings.

Dermals can get caught many things, including clothing.

Dermals require that the piercings be put inside the skin, with just part of the jewelry showing. This is an accident waiting to happen. One of the biggest issues with dermals is that no matter where you decide to get them, there will always be something that can get snagged on them. Whether it’s clothing, hair or even someone else’s flesh, dermals are dangerous.

Navel piercings take a long time to heal, and there is a high chance that your body will reject it.

Yes, navel rings are popular, and many women get them done only to keep up with the trends. But these piercings also take a long time to heal. I’m not talking about a few weeks. I’m talking about six months to a year. Aside from this lengthy healing time, there is a huge chance that the body will reject the piercing, which can lead to scarring. It makes you think twice about that cute little butterfly dangling from your midriff, which might turn into a big bellyache.

Smelly stuff will ooze out of gauges.

Once you start gauging or stretching the piercings in your ears, you’re set for your ears to smell like sewers. Although it is a popular trend, it’s quite the smelly one. You’re stretching out your ears, and when you stretch out any part of your skin, strange odors and weird stuff will slowly start coming out of the skin. Yeah, it can look cool, but just the thought of what happens under those piercings is disgusting.

Septum piercings make you look like a cow.

Septum piercings always remind me of cows. Along with making yourself look like a farm animal, these piercings take a lot of patience. They take about six to 10 weeks. During that time, the cleaning process is also quite the hassle.  

All of these piercings have a chance of infection.

Infection is definitely not a pretty sight, and it will always be painful. Trust me, I’ve been there. So please, if you decide to get any kind of piercing, keep them clean.

<strong>Tara Miller can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>