Women’s soccer stuck scoreless at home

sports

Andrew Delgado

One goal, one double overtime match, one tie and one loss.

The Wildcats of women’s soccer played the maximum minutes and were shut out this weekend by UC San Diego on Friday before Cal State San Bernardino stole the win in the 88th minute Sunday.

Friday, the ‘Cats took on the Tritons of UC San Diego on the University Soccer Stadium’s “Think Pink” night.

Coming into the match, the Tritons were ranked second in the nation and sat atop the south division in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. With an 8-0-2 overall record, the Tritons were favorites going into the match.

The Tritons had control from the start, having possession for the first 15 minutes.

Senior midfielder Lisa Webster was able to break the Tritons dominance of possession and set up a scoring opportunity for the ‘Cats, taking on three defenders while on her way up for a shot. But she lost control of the ball after beating the last defender.

In the 28th minute the ‘Cats had an open look at the net after a corner kick was played short and was placed perfectly for freshman midfielder Halima Abdelshife only yards out, but the ball was kicked high and over the crossbar.

The half would end with an open look for the Tritons but not enough power behind the shot to get past Wildcat goalkeeper Brianna Furner.

The end of the half and the rest of the game saw what might have changed the dynamics of play. The referee had a couple questionable calls for both sides.

With 14 minutes left in the half, a free kick opportunity arose for the Tritons. The referee wasn’t sure about the placement of the ball and would eventually move the ball 20 yards closer to goal just outside the 18-yard box.

The ‘Cats bench got up and was frantic about the call and kept telling the ref about the time that was being wasted. After about a minute of contemplation, the kick was given a final spot and the kick was taken. No goal was to come of the free kick, but time was wasted.

Sophomore defender Carly Singer and senior midfielder Blake Lopes took notice of the referee’s calls that were incorrect about possession issues.

Despite the referee, the ‘Cats regrouped during halftime and focused on offense and bringing the ball to the outsides for more space, Singer said.

“We made adjustments during the half and tried not to play frantic like we did in the first half,” Lopes said.

Three minutes into the second half, the changes paid off for the ‘Cats, when Webster crossed the ball into the front of the goal finding freshman defender Alyx Williams. Williams headed it to the far post, only to have Triton goalkeeper Kristin Armstrong just get enough on the ball directing it just wide of the net.

The match became more physical as it progressed.

A series of tackles from both teams found players on the floor, when Webster was able to control the ball and have a shot hit the post and crossbar and pop out for the goalkeeper to grab and save.

The ‘Cats now were in control of the ball and shots kept pouring in, but none were able to tally a goal. The intensity of the game continued to mount as the clock ticked on.

In the first half the ‘Cats were outshot five to two, while in the second half the ‘Cats outshot the Tritons 11 to five.

Goalkeepers from both teams were on top of their game not allowing a goal the whole night, taking the match into double overtime and bringing the game to a 0-0 draw.

The ‘Cats take this tie as a motivation builder, Lopes said. The Tritons are a really good team and the tie builds the team’s confidence, which they wanted to take into Sunday’s match where the ‘Cats would face the Coyotes of Cal State San Bernardino.

Head coach Kim Sutton wanted the team to play with the intensity they did against San Diego, she said.

“The team that played Friday night wasn’t the same team that showed up,” she said after Sunday’s match.

Throughout the game the ‘Cats weren’t able to get anything going in their favor. Passes were intercepted or short, and the Coyotes were faster to get to loose balls and more in sync than the ‘Cats.

The first half, the ‘Cats were able to muster up three shots to the Coyotes’ eight. The second half the ‘Cats had opportunities but weren’t able to convert.

“There was about 10 minutes of momentum, but we couldn’t hold on to it,” Sutton said.

The ‘Cats seemed to be heading for another overtime match with only two minutes in regulation left, until a Coyote was able to beat a defender to get into the six-yard box and found an open player who drilled a shot past Furner.

With only 1 minute and 34 seconds left to play, the ‘Cats stormed down the field gaining a corner but would not be able to find the equalizer.

“Being consistent is hard, at any level,” Sutton said.

With six games left on the schedule, the ‘Cats look to finish out strong and make a push in the conference, she said.

The ‘Cats start their push for the playoffs back on the road as they face San Francisco State at 3 p.m. Friday and Cal Poly Pomona at 2 p.m. Sunday.

<strong>Andrew Delgado can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Women’s Soccer
  2. Women’s Soccer
  3. Women’s Soccer