Lacrosse player sees the world

Jeff Friedman<br>Staff Writer

A sport invented by Native Americans, played by Canadians, and virtually unknown here on the West Coast has helped one globetrotting senior to see the world.

Davis native Jen Gussman is an offensive powerhouse for Chico State’s lacrosse team. Two summers ago her skills landed her a spot on the USA-West women’s lacrosse team. From Colorado to California, this all-star team made up of the best college athletes in the region, took on the world in Prague, Czech Republic, and later in Manchester, England, coming home with second place.

Gussman, who turned 21 on Tuesday, has already spent a semester in Chile, a summer in Germany and a summer in Alaska, which is, she said, “like another country.” Gussman stayed at the Denali National Park and Preserve in Alaska.

“I had to hike to use the bathroom. It was awesome,” she said.

Added to the list of countries she has visited are: Argentina, Uruguay, Israel, Italy and Switzerland.

Back in the states, this graduating senior studying Spanish hopes to lead the Wildcats to the finals.

“I want this year to be monumental,” Gussman said. “I want to be 100 percent involved with the team, MVP, go to state championships and win.”

A lofty goal for any player, but setting goals and scoring them is what Gussman is all about.

“She is confident on the field, and when she gets it in her head to score, she does it,” said Kirk Lamitie, second-year lacrosse coach.

Lacrosse is a mixture of hockey, basketball and soccer and, although there is not supposed to be any contact in women’s lacrosse, that doesn’t stop players from playing rough.

“Two years ago, I split a girl’s face open,” Gussman said.

Her contributions to the team are not always while the ball is in play. Gussman’s knowledge of the game helps the less experienced players get up to speed.

“She is always willing to help out any way she can,” Lamitie said. “She is someone I can call on to help me out.”

Gussman’s commitment to helping others doesn’t end when she leaves the field. Hoping she can help others enjoy all she has experienced abroad, Gussman works at the International Study Abroad Program. She also volunteers 10 hours a week helping kids at Chapman Elementary School. In a program through CAVE called “Hermanos y Hermanas Unidos Latinos,” Gussman is the liaison between the English-speaking school and Spanish-speaking parents.

“It is a chance to get out there and help the Hispanic community,” she said.

Gussman said she gets her drive from her desire to help others. She hopes to become a nurse but will pursue that at another school. She came to Chico State in 1999 as a nursing major but did not make it into Chico State’s competitive nursing school, a turning point she described as a mixed blessing.

“On one hand, I was done with being in Chico, but, on the other hand, I have to find another school, which I haven’t done yet,” she said.

“She doesn’t go halfway,” roommate Amanda Osborn said. “She is a go-getter who wants to see the world.”

Hoping to take some time off after graduating in May, Gussman is keeping her options open. These options include joining the Peace Corps, nursing school, working at a pub in Ireland or anything else that pops up.

“My plans are up in the air,” Gussman said. “I know what I want to do, but I do not know how I will get there.”

<em>Jeff Friedman can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>