‘Cats pick up second win in San Diego

Jennifer MacDonald

The Chico State men’s basketball team triumphed over UC San Diego on Friday night 74-67 in a performance that left the Tritons unable to take the lead throughout the game.

“We came out and we were ready to play,” said head coach Puck Smith. “We played 40 minutes of intense basketball and we beat a pretty good team because of that.”

Junior Andy Bocian was the lead scorer of the game with 19 points sparking the ‘Cats early lead.

Guard John Baird made 4-of-7 three-pointers, for 12 of his game total 16 points.

The Wildcats maintained a lead throughout the game, but things got a little too close for comfort in the second half when the Tritons came within four points of closing the gap. Chico State recovered with only 15 minutes left in the game.

“We regrouped and scored a couple and then retook control of the game,” Smith said. “After we got up, we refocused and withstood the challenge.”

The game against UC San Diego is one of two teams the team plays away from home this weekend. They will face off against Cal State Dominguez Hills at 7:30 p.m in Carson.

Smith said the team will adjust its playing style for Saturday’s opponent. Smith described Cal State Dominguez Hills as a very athletic team.

“We have to control their athletics and make sure they don’t get going,” Smith said.

The win against UC San Diego brings Chico State’s overall record to 2-3.

Jennifer MacDonald can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>