What Happens When You Ask People What They Most Treasure?

online_features/home_improvement

[email protected] (NewsUSA)

(<a href=”http://www.newsusa.com”>NewsUSA</a>) – What do you treasure most under your <a href=”http://www.gaf.com”>roof</a>?

That’s the question causing some buzz on Facebook these days, and the answers — along with the sometimes funny corresponding photos — from homeowners probably say more about Americans than any government survey ever could.

Perhaps predictably, family, dogs and cats got lots of thumbs-up — not necessarily in that order — but it’s the other responses that are at least as revealing.

For S.J. Williams of Vail, Ariz., it’s his ’69 Chevrolet Longbed Stepside truck. “It’s been in my family for 25 years and is the last of a 24-car collection.”

For Lori Magelky of West Fargo, N.D., it’s a signed baseball by New York Yankees legends Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. “I met both when I was in high school, and I graduated from the same high school as Maris.”

And for Troy Alringer of Tonawanda, N.Y., it’s his “Star Wars” models collection. “Built these myself. Added the lights.”

It’s all part of a new “Protect What You Treasure Most” campaign by GAF, North America’s largest roofing manufacturer, that’s aimed at changing the way people think about their roofs. “It’s not just a functional piece of the home that keeps out weather and the elements,” says Alyssa Hall, the company’s marketing communications manager. “It’s also a structure that protects everything people value inside their houses.”

Indeed. And to make that point even clearer, those who use the company’s social app (which links directly to Facebook) to upload their own such photos and/or videos will be entered in weekly giveaways of $100 Home Depot gift cards — with one lucky grand-prize winner chosen in October 2013 to win a $2,000 shopping spree at the megastore.

Plus, there’s a separate contest — this one open only to those who currently have a GAF roof — that gives entrants a shot at starring in a documentary webisode directed by the same critically acclaimed photographer-filmmaker, James Michin III, who’s worked with the likes of Miley Cyrus and Adam Levine. (All official contest rules are available at <a href=”http://www.gaf.com”>www.gaf.com</a>.)

Meanwhile, at least a few posters have actually shared touching “before” and “after” photos of roofs that had to be rebuilt — this time, using GAF products — after being damaged in recent storms. But, then, in keeping with the campaign’s theme, wouldn’t you say you “treasure” your roof above all else if you literally didn’t have one over your head for awhile?

1. What Happens When You Ask People What They Most Treasure?