Breuer ‘lightens’ up crowd

Misha Osinovskiy<br>Assistant Photography Editor

A.S. Presents packed the Bell Memorial Union auditorium Wednesday with an audience ready to experience Saturday Night Live alum Jim Breuer’s “Lighten Up Comedy Tour.”

The line to enter the BMU stretched back to Normal Avenue – everyone hoping to catch a funny line from Breuer and The Breu Crue.

Many seemed surprised when they entered the auditorium and found that there were no seats anywhere to be found. The general-admission show was described as a rock-comedy performance, but most were hoping for more comedy than rock.

The warmup for Breuer was his good friend Paul Bond. First on stage, Bond grabbed the audience’s attention with his version of “The Star Spangled Banner,” poetically rewritten to explain the troubles of road rage.

Bond transitioned his act well and could relate to the students with his tales of fast food and grocery store jobs. About 15 minutes into his act, Bond strapped on his acoustic guitar and began to play songs after warning the audience that “my songs are not normal.” For the next 30 minutes he sang about “American Pie 2,” Osama bin Laden, Anne Heche, and “tea bagging,” respectively. The crowd was warmed up and ready for Breuer, but it had to wait out a 10-minute intermission.

The curtains opened once again, revealing Breuer, who was introduced by his backup band The Breu Crue. Before starting his act, Breuer individually introduced members of The Breu Crue, made up of high school friends.

Breuer grabbed the mike and, with a sly smile, said, “I heard about you guys… No. 2, they say.” The crowd went wild in response to Breuer’s reference to Chico State University’s recent ranking in Playboy.

And then it happened – perhaps by mistake or maybe he knew that everyone was waiting in anticipation — Breuer let a goat laugh slip. The already riled-up audience rolled with laughter. Breuer probably could have stood on stage all night making only goat noises, and everyone would have been satisfied they got their money’s worth. Breuer continued with his story of how “Goatboy” was born. It all goes back to the time Breuer was really stoned at the zoo, all alone with a few goats. He began speaking in “sheep talk” to the zoo’s resident sheep. As Breuer described it, “when you’re stoned… this is huge.” And so Goatboy was born.

The show continued with Breuer’s hilarious tale of his first drug encounter and his terrible mistake of “stepping into the darkness.”

The Breu Crue provided sound effects and mellow tunes during Breuer’s act.

Eventually Breuer broke out into his interpretations of different rock bands.

First he did his own version of what Metallica might look like doing “If You’re Happy and You Know it” and then he did an AC/DC version of “The Hokey Pokey.”

Breuer ended on a high note, using his hand to do impressions of a three-armed umpire, a big horny man and a dog defecating.

For its exiting piece The Breu Crue broke out into verse, singing, “I smoked my bong today, that’s why I look this way.”

<em>Misha Osinovskiy can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>