Outside artists perform students’ compositions

entertainment

Miguel Rocha

The whistling sound of flutes combined with the light keys of the piano and the strings of the violin and cello filled the Rowland-Taylor Recital Hall Thursday night.

Chico State student composers showcased their music compositions before fellow students at the New Music Symposium. Varying between electrical, jazz and instrumental music, the guests’ ears were filled with elegant sounds.

Musicians sat on black chairs on an entirely black stage, grabbed their instruments and let the friction of string against string make the music. Their lungs helped their instruments blow out melodies and their fingers danced gracefully with the piano keys.

The composers worked for a year to have their original compositions performed by musicians, said David Dvorin, a professor of music. Students usually write two or three compositions per semester.

The New Music Symposium’s purpose is to allow students to have their work performed. When composing, they don’t get the chance to listen to it live but only on a demo, computer or playback.

The Student Composers Forum hired musicians to interpret the students’ work, so the composers could hear what it sounded like and have the chance to present it to the public, Dvorin said.

In its eighth year, Dvorin was expecting a full house.

“Students are really wonderful about supporting each other,” he said.

Chamber music, instrumental music in small groups, is something different, new and adventurous because it is unlike listening to club music or a rock concert, Dvorin said.

“It is an opportunity for the campus community and the city community to hear new music that has been written by students,” he said.

Performing electronic music was Joey Wright, a senior music industry and technology major.

Without hesitation, he sat on the stage steps under the bright spotlight. He opened his computer and moved the knobs on the speaker. The aluminum square before him vibrated with the speaker’s waves and created sound.

It took him one night to write the song that represents the connection between the digital and acoustic world.

“I kind of just went in my room with a bunch of inspiration,” Wright said.

Wright is in a band and this was his first electronic performance, he said. Although he was a little nervous because of the other beautiful pieces, he didn’t find it difficult to perform live.

“There is a connection with the sound and yourself, and you just kind of do what you feel is right,” he said.

Aly Lopez, a freshman English and psychology major, attended the show because she enjoys music and the event seemed fun, she said.

Lopez was surprised and impressed with the performances, she said.

“I wasn’t expecting much, and I really liked the piano players and the singers,” she said.

<strong>Miguel Rocha can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Tweet, tweet