Classroom romances lead to awkward yet rewarding circumstances

opinion

Lucas Meek

Blond hair and a cute smile are things I look for every time I walk into a classroom. That isn’t meant to be creepy. It’s just true. I’m a guy and it’s in my DNA.

Finding a cute girl in a Chico State classroom isn’t the hard part— it’s talking to them. I wouldn’t say I have a problem with ladies, and I definitely don’t have a problem with talking. It’s the classroom setting that throws me.

Everyone has that person in class that makes their toes tap and fingers shake. The problem is that asking out a complete stranger is intimidating.

I set out to further my classroom relations with a date— a date to learn to push the boundaries to more than just classroom flirtation.

Cool, calm and collected, I entered the classroom ready to swoon and, hopefully, wind up with a date. As I sat through class I became increasingly nervous.

I left class with no date. I didn’t even ask anyone. As everyone began packing up, I sucked up into my internal shell and chickened out. I purposely sabotaged myself. This was going to be harder than I thought.

Thankfully, for this article and my ego, my second attempt landed me a date. Dinner at Burgers and Brew and ice cream at Jon and Bon’s is what I’d consider one of the best dates I’ve been on.

Both Randi Thompson, a junior political science major and my date, junior English education major Katie Pelfrey, said girls like it when a guy is forward with their advances. It shows he has some confidence, and it’s nice when it’s more apparent.

“It’s cute that he cares enough to be nervous,” Thompson said.

There is always that person that puts that twinkle in their eye, so if they are in your classes, just say something. In order to cut down on the chance of awkwardness, don’t ask just anyone but rather a classroom acquaintance who already knows you.

Dating isn’t an experience to be scared of like I thought it was. It was really enjoyable and a great confidence booster. Get out and tell people how you feel, and maybe Chico can become an even friendlier place than it is now.

<hr />

<strong>Lucas Meek can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>