Recital embodies an evening with ‘masters’

entertainment

Kayla Wohlford

Chicoans packed the Rowland-Taylor Recital Hall Saturday night as the North State Symphony put on its first chamber music recital of the season.

The recital, called “The Concertmaster,” was a performance duo of violinist Terrie Baune and pianist Alexander Tutunov. Aside from being a concertmaster of the North State Symphony, Baune also takes part in several other projects and is a freelance musician. Tutunov currently teaches piano at Southern Oregon University and performs around the world as a recitalist and orchestra soloist.

“It’s a wonderful treat to be here,” Tutunov said. “I want to make sure the fans have an enjoyable and wonderful evening.”

As the lights dimmed on the two performers and they went through each piece, the recital exuded chilling classical tunes. The mixture of French, Russian and German compositions created a variety for classical music enthusiasts.

While performing Aria by Lev Abeliovich, Baune’s violin work was radiating as she switched from a low haunting sound to a piercing but slow resonance. Tutunov played powerfully quiet piano tones that accented the piece and created a blend of stimulating notes. The audience felt the compelling rendition as they cheered in approval.

The simple stage setting allowed for the music to prevail as the musicians showed there wealth of experience with different musical techniques.

Baune sat down her bow at one point and plucked at the strings of the violin while Tutunov pounded on the piano keys sending out waves of energetic segments.

The pair complemented each other well as the harmonies of the instruments worked together to create strong outbursts of classical music. Baune’s fingers swayed across the violin strings while the bow slowly moved up and down creating a whimsical sound.

“It’s a great feeling when you can feel the composer in the music,” Baune said.

The musicians played pieces by some of their favorite composers including Antonin Dvorak, Lili Boulanger and Dmitri Shostakovich. They provided a great variety of content including up-beat, dramatic music and subtle, gentle notes.

“The second half of the show was more dramatic,” Tutunov said.

The crowd was silent as the musicians shared their knowledge of classical music after each piece.

They ended the concert with a strong musical composition by Johannes Brahms and played a quick encore by applause of the crowd.

<strong>Kayla Wohlford can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>