Chico State Sports Briefs

<strong>B-ball loses to No. 13 Seattle Pacific</strong>

The No. 23 Chico State women’s basketball team lost for the first time this season Saturday to No.13 Seattle Pacific University 88-71, according to the Chico State athletics Web site.

After being down at halftime 35-42, the Wildcats came back against the Falcons, cutting the lead to four with 13:05 in the second half. Chico State remained within nine before Seattle Pacific surged ahead with a 20-7 run capping off its largest lead of the game at 86-64 with 1:46 left.

The Falcons’ bench outscored the Wildcats 28-13, while free throws were a factor as Chico State went 9-16 compared to Seattle Pacific’s 22-26, and 17-17 in the second half.

Leading the Wildcats were freshman post Alex Jackson who had 18 points and seven rebounds, senior swing Marissa White with 15 points and nine boards, and junior guard Kim Abts who tallied 14 points and 10 assists.

Seattle Pacific’s big gun was senior swing Valerie Gustafson who turned in 29 points while shooting 11-16 from the field.

The Wildcats drop to 3-1 on the season, while the Falcons improve to 6-0, maintaining their regular season win streak to 39 games.

Chico State will play Holy Names College next in the Humboldt State tournament on Dec. 12 in Arcata.<strong>Sugar sweet for Oklahoma and LSU</strong>

The University of Oklahoma and Louisiana State University were anointed their place at the national championship/ Nokia Sugar Bowl Sunday, according to the <a href=”http://www.usatoday.com”>USA Today Web site</a>.

The teams were decided upon by the BCS, which includes a combination of two major polls, seven computer rankings and strength of schedule and losses.

The human vote moved OU from No. 1 to No. 3 after Saturday’s 35-7 loss to Kansas State for the Big 12 championship game, five of the seven computers rank Oklahoma No.1 and one had them at No. 2.

OU’s strength of schedule also helped it’s cause, which sits at 11th nationally among 117 1-A schools.

LSU beat the University of Georgia for the Southeast Conference championship, and is ranked No. 1 or 2 in every computer.

The University of Southern California, who was No. 2 going into the weekend in most computer polls, beat Oregon State University 52-28 Saturday will take on the University of Michigan for the Rose bowl.<strong>Tight race for Heisman</strong>

Oklahoma quarterback Jason White was said to be a lock for college football’s highest honor, but because of a 35-7 loss, voters now may turn to someone else, according to the USA Today Web site.

White was 253-for-414 for 3,744 yards, 40 TD’s and eight interceptions.

Other probable finalists include University of Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, University of Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, USC’s quarterback Matt Leinhard, and Michigan running back Chris Ferry.<em>– Sports briefs were compiled by The Orion’s Adam Arella</em>