2 fraternities shut down after investigation into beer brewing, drinking party

news

Greeks suspendedPedro Quintana • Nicholas Carr

Chico State officials put one sorority chapter on probation and suspended two fraternities after investigations confirmed violations of university policies.

Pi Kappa Alpha is suspended for three years after hosting a social event April 13 called “Around the World,” a themed drinking event in which participants went to three different private homes in Chico, according to a Chico State public affairs and publications press release. Sigma Chi is suspended for two years after one of its officers brewed beer inside the chapter house.

Sorority Gamma Phi Beta is on probation for a year, said Connie Huyck, student life and leadership coordinator. The probation restricts the sorority so that it cannot participate in social events and mixers with other Greeks.

The sorority must get approval by Greek life coordinators for all internal events, including sisterhood and alumni events, Huyck said. Gamma Phi Beta will be on probation until the end of spring 2014.

Gamma Phi Beta members must complete educational requirements including risk management workshops by the end of next semester and the chapter president must meet with Greek life coordinators on a monthly basis, she said.

More than 150 fraternity members and pledges will have to wait and see if their organizations remain unrecognized by the student life and leadership office, she said. The fraternities have until May 20 to appeal the sanctions, which will go to the office of the vice president for student affairs.

The suspensions mean that the fraternities cannot participate in any Greek-related activities and must take their letters down from chapter houses, according to the release. Greek members who currently live in the houses will not be asked to move.

University officials notified the national organizations of Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Chi about the suspensions, according to the release.

The fraternities will not be able to use any funds gained through revenue sharing, Huyck said.

The two fraternities received a combined $1,847 in revenue sharing, according to the Associated Students election results.

Alexander Salciccia, who was active as the president of Sigma Chi as of last week, said he no longer held the position when contacted by The Orion. He declined to comment on the suspensions.

The Orion attempted to contact representatives from Pi Kappa Alpha and Gamma Phi Beta, but a response was not received by deadline.

<hr />

<strong>The Orion can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>