Aspiring student artists display work in annual competition

Jane Dick<br>Staff Writer

Pablo Picasso once said, “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”

Chico State University’s departments of art and art history students have remained artists into their college years and are now displaying their work as adults.

The students are no longer children, yet are still embracing the essence of youth through artistic expression. Each artist’s imagination unfolds onto every canvas, sculpture and photograph, explaining his or her hopes, dreams and biggest fears, and will be displayed until May 17 at the University Art Gallery.

Jason Tannen, University Art Gallery curator, describes the submitted work for the 47th Annual Juried Student Exhibition as beginning efforts of creativity to well-developed artistic expression. There are four prizes: first, second, third and a special Dean’s Award. Students taking one or more art classes in the departments of art and art history, have the opportunity to enter the exhibition for possible selection.

Glen Helfand, guest juror and San Francisco art writer, critic and curator strategically handpicked the pieces in the show. After tediously going through more than 90 works ranging from sculpture, digital imagery painting and more, Helfand found a variety of pieces that had artistic merit – a specific idea or concept and clean presentation.

The show flows well through the gallery. The work is playful and vivid, causing visitors to laugh out loud at the video installation of artist Kenny Bourguin wearing Hanes underwear on his head, and smile at a ceramic Elvis Presley.

“Over time, I’ve noticed a fascinating phenomenon: each year, the work that comes in for consideration often reflects an overall theme, approach or interest,” Tannen said. “This year, much of the work reflected a positive, and at times, playful sensibility both in subject and materials. Much of the work displays an upbeat view and many of the pieces show a keen sense of humor.”

Tannen said he noticed references to rave culture in a lot of the work.

“In my view, rave is a synthesis of media: music, movement and environment combined with technology, attitude and visual production. It’s reminiscent of the psychedelic era, but with computer technology.”

No matter what medium – whether it be mixed media, glass art or watercolor, every artist becomes inspired and driven to create a piece of culture.

“After seeing Nekromantix from Denmark play with Tiger Army here in Chico I was totally inspired to create my ceramic piece of the bass player, Nekro-man,” said Jaime Meredith, who also has a glass figure of a man on display.

Varying abstract and literal works fill the warehouse-like gallery with optical artwork similar to the style of Victor Vasarely and pop art with magazine clips of actresses covered in collage and paint. The diversity balances the creativity and interest in art as a statement.

Sarah Sense’s piece, entitled “No. 204,” arranges 204 wood pieces painted with acrylic into a montage of bright, rainbow colors that capture the eye and calm the mind. Next to the color configuration hangs a three-piece photography series depicting the coming-of-age, voyeuristic look into the reflections of man produced by Melissa Aitken.

“I’ve always had an interest (in photography) but began perusing it a year and a half ago. This semester is my first darkroom class. I’m really happy to be selected; the element of being chosen is an honor,” said Aitken, who is a graphic design major. “Professor Hsueh asked me to enter and I didn’t even realized it was juried; it was very spontaneous.”

Fine art photography professor Wei Hsueh believes it’s important for students to enter the exhibition. Six of Hsueh’s students have their photography displayed in the show.

“I highly encourage all my students to participate in this show. It is a real deal for students before they get out of real world,” Hsueh said.

The University Art Gallery is open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday noon to 4 p.m. Prize-winners will be announced at the Celebration of Student Achievement, May 17, 7-8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center 134. A special gallery reception is following from 8-10 p.m.