2003: OxyContin still widely used drug among students

features

Looking Back

<strong>THEN: April 16, 2003</strong>

OxyContin made itself known in the Chico State party scene.

There were two deaths involving OxyContin and an increase of referrals for students with OxyContin addiction, according to Shauna Quinn in an Orion article, the program director of Campus Alcohol and Drug Education Center. Students were coming in seeking information about the particular drug, which indicated its rise on the streets.

OxyContin is a form of opiate that comes in time-released capsules that lasts for 12 hours. It is thought to be addictive and more dangerous than Ecstasy. It is commonly mixed with alcohol to create an intense high.

It was rumored that dealers were able to get the drug through the elderly around Butte County area, as well as pharmacists who sold samples to dealers.

Although a small student population was associated with OxyContin, it was a population that was concentrated and keen on its quick distribution.

<strong>NOW:</strong>

OxyContin is among the three drugs that are thought to be the most commonly used on campus according to surveys used for CADEC’s sanction class, Quinn said. The other two are thought to be marijuana and Adderall.

Although there are fewer students seeking information on OxyContin, the rate of students coming in for addiction treatment and counseling remains steady.

Only about 2 percent of students admit to using prescription drugs in surveys, so it’s hard to get solid information, Quinn said. But every time there is a crisis around drugs, such as in Gina Maggio’s case, the use goes down because students get afraid.

Maggio was found to have 11 different drugs in her system, so it’s hard to tell what killed her, Quinn said. But OxyContin was among the list.

Currently, there are two students known to be in counseling for OxyContin addiction, Quinn said.

“We hear more about Adderall use and stimulants than we do about the opiates right now,” Quinn said. “But I think it’s still a problem.”

<em>-Compiled by Melissa Hahn</em>