Softball team gets first road sweep of season

sports

Price Peterson

The Chico State softball team brought out the brooms Saturday as it swept the weekend series against Sonoma State.

“Oh my goodness, it feels so damn good,” sophomore second baseman Kelli Keefe said

In the first game, Chico State played its second extra innings game in two days and earned a 2-1 win.

Sonoma State was the first to put up runs when the team scored off an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning.

However, that lead wouldn’t last long as the Wildcats scored a run in the top of the third off of an RBI double from freshman first baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez.

The score stayed at 1-1 as senior pitcher Kayla McConnell kept Sonoma State scoreless for the final six innings of the game on her way to her seventh win on the season.

There was finally some good momentum, Keefe said.

Chico State was able to finally break through in the top of the eighth inning, as freshman outfielder Amanda Cordeiro hit an RBI double to bring in Gonzalez and take a 2-1 lead over Sonoma State.

In the second game Chico State had to stage another late inning comeback as its beat Sonoma State 3-2 in the doubleheader finale.

“I think we’ve figured out what it takes to win, and we just need to keep working as hard as we did this week to not have another setback,” junior pitcher Alex Molina said.

Sonoma State scored first again, getting two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Molina took to the mound in the second game of the series and allowed just two runs over seven innings of work as she earned her 13th win of the season.

While Chico State trailed for most of the game, the offense came together in the top of the sixth and scored three runs off the bats of Gonzalez and Molina to take the lead.

That was all the ’Cats would need as Molina retired the side in order in both the sixth and seventh innings to complete the team’s first road series sweep of the season with a 3-2 win.

The Chico State softball team will return home Friday and face off against conference rivals UC San Diego.

<strong>Price Peterson can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>