Don’t call ’em underdogs; ’Cats headed to final four

sports

Andrew Delgado

LOS ANGELES – The women’s soccer team is soaking in some Florida sunshine and preparing for yet another historical game.

The Wildcats booked their flight to Pensacola, Fla., after they beat Abilene Christian University 1-0 in the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament quarterfinal match Nov. 20.

The Wildcats, ranked fifth in the tournament, secured a spot in the final four for the first time in Chico State history.

“With this being my first experience, it’s everything it should be,” freshman defender Alyx Williams said.

Senior midfielder Blake Lopes knew the ‘Cats were good enough to be in the position they are in and wants everyone to know that they are, she said.

“We defied all the odds and persevered,” Lopes said. “It is disrespectful that teams think they can walk all over us just because we are a five-seed.”

The ‘Cats now find themselves as underdogs again as they will face defending national champions Grand Valley State University from Allensdale, Mich. in the semifinal match Thursday at 9 a.m.

The ‘Cats have already gone further in this tournament than any other team in the program’s history.

Head coach Kim Sutton is not surprised about the great play her team is delivering, she said.

“It’s just our time,” she said.

En route to securing their first-ever final four appearance, the ‘Cats handed the Cal State L.A. Golden Eagles a disappointing loss in penalty kicks on their home field.

The fifth-seeded ‘Cats came into the match as underdogs even though they were able to beat the Golden Eagles 1-0 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association playoffs a few weeks earlier.

The match would go into two rounds of overtime before it was decided through penalty kicks.

After a few rounds of hits and misses, Williams was able to secure the win for the ‘Cats with a shot past the goalie.

True freshman goalkeeper Brianna Furner recorded her 10th shutout of the season and third in a row.

“I am just so proud of her, as a freshman to do so well,” Sutton said. “What a hero.”

The ‘Cats would not have long to celebrate the win.

Two days later, they played on the same field in the quarterfinal match against top-seed champions of the south central region, Abilene Christian University from Texas.

Abilene Christian came into the match with an overall season record of 20-1-1. The Wildcats of Abilene Christian were favorites to surpass the Wildcats of Chico State and move on to the final four.

The ‘Cats have not had an easy road through the playoffs, and in the quarterfinal match it would be only fitting that rain would pour down on the field all day and night, making it more suitable for rowing than soccer.

As the match started, the ball seemed to be made out of stone rather than filled with air, as passes would come to a dead stop and kicks would be off the mark.

Lopes found it extremely difficult to connect how she would have liked with a few passes, she said.

“This was the worst, ugliest soccer game I have ever played in my life,” she said. “It was nearly impossible to play in.”

The rain was light in the morning but got worse as game time drew closer and it never stopped.

“The ball doesn’t roll, you can’t dribble, you just have to kick it forward and try to get your momentum up,” Sutton said.

In the 14th minute, Williams found the ball at her feet just yards out following a throw-in by Lopes. Williams was able shoot it past the goalkeeper, putting Chico State up 1-0.

After halftime, rain was still a huge factor and frustration was getting the better of both teams. A total of 27 fouls were awarded, 13 to Chico State and 14 to Abilene Christian.

“Injuries were our worse fear,” Sutton said. “My heart goes out to Abilene because these aren’t the ideal conditions and it’s unfortunate.”

The clock reached zero and the team that wasn’t projected to be victorious, was booking its flight to Pensacola, Fla., to play in the

final four.

The ‘Cats face Grand Valley State, who is undefeated this season with an overall record of 20-0-3 and is on a 41-unbeaten-match streak going back to last season.

The winner of the match will face the winner of the other semifinal match.

College of Saint Rose from Albany, N.Y., versus Armstrong Atlantic State University from Savannah, Ga., play Thursday at noon The finals are at

10:30 a.m. Saturday.

<hr />

<strong>Andrew Delgado can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Women’s soccer
  2. Chico State women’s soccer advances to final four