Scorecard dooms men’s golf

sports

Sophomore Cody Thompson’s one-stroke mistake on his scorecard cost the ’Cats a chance at a national title run, after a big final round comeback.Kevin Amerine

Triumph quickly turned to disbelief for Chico State men’s golf last week, when the Wildcats came back from five strokes down at the NCAA Super Regionals in Albuquerque.

The ‘Cats had mounted an impressive final-round comeback to earn one of the top five spots, thinking they’d earned a spot in nationals.

However, the satisfaction that came with their good play quickly turned to disappointment as sophomore Cody Thompson signed an incorrect scorecard, immediately disqualifying him from the tournament and ending the ‘Cats’ chances at a national championship.

The error could’ve happened to anyone, said junior Eric Frazzetta.

“I came in and I thought we were in,” Frazzetta said. “He signed for the wrong score. It’s just an accident.”

Thompson thought he shot a 76 but signed for a 75. The difference in the scores would not have changed the ‘Cats’ position in the standings, however.

“It makes us more hungry and more motivated for next year,” Frazzetta.

A poor personal end to the tourney was slightly distracting, Thompson said.

“I was frustrated how I finished,” he said. “I thought I got all the scores right and I just signed it off.”

After the tournament, head coach T.L. Brown held a team meeting.

“It was hard to take in right away,” Thompson said. “We talked at the team meeting and that helped. It’s easier having the team around me because we’re all good friends and pretty close.”

The next thing for Thompson to do is just to move on and play more tournaments in the offseason, he said.

The ‘Cats did receive a positive note via junior Kyle Souza.

In the final round, Souza made seven birdies in his first 10 holes on his way to a four-under 68.

He found himself in a three-way playoff for an individual spot to advance to the national championship. Souza won on the first playoff hole and will compete at the NCAA National Championship May 17-20 at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at the Shoals in Florence, Ala.

Souza has already played the course in the fall at the Division II Preview tournament, where he shot a pair of 70s on his way to a tie for second place.

This season, the ‘Cats had 22 consecutive top five finishes. They will look to continue their dominance next year as those like Frazzetta and Souza will be back for their senior season.

<hr />

<strong>Kevin Amerine can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>