Philly band rides into Chico with love, glitter

entertainment

Nicole Walker

With a little glitter and face paint, the Dangerous Ponies took a step back while the audience danced on.

The indie-carnival pop, six-member band came from Philadelphia to the 1078 Gallery May 3 to put their musical talents on display and promote their new self-released, full-length record.

“I love our record, but I think our performance represents us and shows what we are all about,” said singer and guitarist Chrissy Tashjian.

The group, dressed from head to toe in vibrant, glittering gold and silver costumes, pulled the small audience together from every direction with their first song of the night.

“Our music affects everyone in a different way, but it always makes people want to dance,” Tashjian said.

Harmonic group vocals accompanied by thumping percussion and the chiming of tambourines created an infectious rhythm.

The group’s connection offstage was visible as Tashjian strummed her guitar and sang with intensity and a passion for every word. Evan Bernard and Kyle Pulley played strident licks from their guitars, while bassist Chris Baglivo strummed at a low tempo and Mikey Tashjian pounded the drums, balancing the blend of melodies.

“They sold me with their sublime musical abilities,” said Kayla Mahoney, who joined the rest of the audience after hearing the band from the street.

The group is inspired by the ’60s and is all about rainbows, sunshine and love, vocalist and keyboardist Sarah Green said.

Green and Brooks Banker are the duo responsible for the group’s fashion and audience interactions throughout the show.

“We want people to be whatever they want to be, so we identify as a queer and allied band to appeal to everyone,” Chrissy Tashjian said.

The Dangerous Ponies were not expecting a huge crowd at their Tuesday night show, but that did not discourage them from putting on a performance that deserved a full house, she said.

The Dangerous Ponies formed two years ago, after potential members participated in a six-month tryout period, Crissy Tashjian said. The inspiration for their name came shortly after, when bassist Chris Baglivo almost slammed his ponytail in a car door. Convincing the rest of the band was a challenge, but the name became permanent after a vote.

“We never take ourselves too seriously,” Mikey Tashjian said.

<strong>Nicole Walker can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>