Entry-level jobs provide paychecks, perserverence

opinion

Katie Akeson

I suffer from pomfretphobia, the fear of monkeys, because of many hours trapped inside an oversized monkey suit.

Young people seem to be given the most humiliating grunt work rejected by the rest of society. Beginning as the bottom link of the chain may be commonplace protocol, but it takes on a new meaning when faced with demeaning or disgusting chores.

I seem to have a trend of thinking I’m being hired for one job, but having the truth of my questionable commitment hidden from me. I was hired as a “Party Host” only to endure the treacherous work of bathroom duty and throwing away used diapers.

As the new girl at an indoor children’s playland, it was bestowed upon me to dress up as an oversized monkey. And while prancing around in a monkey suit with microscopic eye holes and no ventilation may seem like fun, making babies cry and feeling parent’s pity can really make you question your choice of employment.

The sick and heartless company even forced its employees to bravely take on solo versions of “Happy Birthday” for the birthday child.

Singing is meant for occasions of copious joy, or in high school hallways when best friends spontaneously break out in song.

Anyone who has worked at a Cold Stone Creamery, where employees have to sing whenever a customer puts money in the tip jar, is highly familiar with the humiliation brought on by mandatory public cheers.

And while I was left clueless, peculiar tasks began being asked of me, like “Katie, the dishes are piling up back there, do you think you can help?” And, “The men’s bathroom is a mess; you aren’t busy right now, are you?”

Wait a minute, that’s not what I signed up for. But even when we are fully aware of the loathsome labor from the start, it can still be just as soul-trampling to brave through the chores being asked of us.

Even if the job isn’t as glamorous as we had hoped, remembering the unemployment rate should be a reminder of how thankful we should be regardless. It is better to get a paycheck full of minimum wage slave labor than to not get a paycheck at all. The bottom line is that these jobs are resume fillers that serve to make us look industrious. A resume full of crappy jobs demonstrates perseverance and the willingness to sacrifice our time and pride. This also exemplifies a good work ethic and the self-discipline that future employers seek in potential employees.

In Chico, outside Mom’s restaurant, some brave soul endures the horrors of a chicken suit and dances around in front. I shudder to imagine the chaos faced by downtown employees during rush hour crunch times. Sutter Dining Hall and Sutter Cafe provide less than luxurious labor for many students. I have a deep admiration for those workers who grunt away making the lives of the rest of the students a little bit easier.

While receiving those slave labor paychecks may feel sweet, keep in mind that it’s way better to spend your youth being happy than being miserable.

If your job is vastly affecting your life or happiness, it is important to reevaluate your priorities, and consider any alternatives. The perk of being young is that we are allowed to jump from job to job as long as we learn from every experience. When we are established and our link has risen on the career chain, we will reflect on the evolution of our employment from the monkey suit to the business suit.

<hr />

<strong>The Orion can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Katie Akeson