Coordinator’s exit leaves sustainability questions

news

Lexi Brister and Andre Byik

An offer too good to refuse has left A.S. Sustainability interns trying to preserve their own future.

Robyn DiFalco, the former A.S. sustainability coordinator, left her post Feb. 16 for a job as the Butte Environmental Council executive director.

DiFalco started as the A.S. recycling coordinator in 2006 and stepped in as sustainability coordinator in 2007, she said.

The program provides internships, promotes “eco-awareness,” and pays for student-driven sustainability projects, according to the A.S. Sustainability website.

Initially, it looked like Associated Students would hire a replacement rather quickly, DiFalco said earlier this month.

Now, about 40 sustainability student interns are questioning if, and when, a replacement will be found.

Courtney Silver, assistant sustainability coordinator and senior biology major said she doesn’t know if the program should continue without a leader.

“I really think the program, as it is now, is in serious danger. I’m afraid A.S. Sustainability could disappear,” Silver said.

A.S. is planning to fill the position in the next three months, said Jon Slaughter, director of A.S. programs and Government Affairs, but DiFalco’s “sudden departure” and no heir apparent allows for reflection on the position.

A.S. can evaluate what works well in sustainability and what doesn’t before it replaces DiFalco, Slaughter said.

“Nothing’s going to happen to sustainability,” he said.

In the interim, A.S. staffer Jody Strong is coordinating the program.

A 2006 referendum voted in by students added a $5-per-semester student fee to go toward a sustainability fund. The referendum also created the sustainability coordinator position.

The position comes with a a salary of about $46,800 per year, Slaughter said.

<strong>Lexi Brister can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

<strong>Andre Byik can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Sustain