Chico State Sports Briefs

<strong>Standout soccer goalie drafted indoors</strong>

After being selected as a first-team National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II All-American, Chico State goalkeeper Dominik Jakubek was drafted Friday into the Major Indoor Soccer League by the Milwaukee Wave as the third pick in the first round, according to the Chico State athletics Web site.

Jakubek, who is a two-time All-California Collegiate Athletic Association and All-Western Region selection, tallied 11 shutouts this season, with a 0.99 goals against average and a .811 save percentage. He also led the Wildcats to a record of 21-5-1 converting 5 of 5 penalty kicks.

The MISL is composed of eight teams across the nation, with current Chico State head coach Mike O’Malley as an alumnus. O’Malley was the assistant coach for the MISL’s Cleveland Force in 1980 and the head coach of the Sacramento Knights, a member of the Continental Indoor Soccer League.<strong>Men’s golf takes second place</strong>

Showing potential in its first tournament of the season, the Chico State men’s golf team fell to Cal State Bakersfield in the Family Motors Invitational Tournament, according to the Chico State athletics Web site.

The Wildcats went into the weekend ranked No. 1 in the country. Mitch Berg and J.J. Jakovac both shot six under par to lead the team. The Wildcats came in eight under par, finishing with a third-round total of 280.

Berg, who played as an individual, was not a factor in the team’s total and finished tied for third overall, three strokes behind the leader.

Benjamin Knight also came up big, posting a two-under finish in a tie for 15th place, and Marc Peterson added three even-par rounds placing him 20th.<strong>Baseball turns in successful weekend road trip</strong>

The Chico State baseball team took out San Francisco State 3-1 on Friday and went .500 through Saturday’s doubleheader against the Gators, winning 12-4 then losing 5-2, according to the Chico State athletics Web site.

During Friday’s game, pitcher Brian Kroll gave up only one run on five hits, striking out seven and walking three.

First baseman Ryan Wulfert and right fielder Jay Hyland both went two for four for the day as the team totaled nine hits.

In Saturday’s first game, the Wildcats came through with big offensive performances as center fielder Daniel White and left fielder Jonathan Shepard had three hits each. Second baseman Joseph Ramos, designated hitter Cody Smith and third basemen Brian Lucas pitched in with two hits apiece.

Pitcher Mike Jones (3-1) gave up only three runs on five hits, striking out six in seven innings of work.

The second game on Saturday was a different story altogether as the Wildcats fell to the Gators. Wulfert was the only Wildcat to earn multiple hits. Pitcher Nick Burger (0-1) took the loss, allowing five runs on six hits in four innings.<em>— Sports briefs were compiled by The Orion’s Adam Arella</em>