Social freedom found without Greek life

opinion

Ian Scerri-Martin

As I stood in line at the Wildcat Store, I overheard a couple of freshmen talking about rushing. Two seconds later, one of them turned around and asked me, “Are you in a fraternity?”

I immediately looked back, thinking that there was no way this girl thought I was a frat guy. After realizing I was the intended target of the question – almost an insult – I turned forward and proudly stated, “No ma’am, I am not. I’m a GDI.”

She looked back at me with a blank stare.

GDI, meaning goddamn independent, is a term used mostly by Greeks to describe someone not in the Greek system.

It didn’t occur to me that most people are unfamiliar with the term, because it is rather inescapable when living in downtown Chico.

Don’t get me wrong. A lot of my friends pledged and enjoyed their experience. However, college can be just as fun, if not more awesome, when you stay independent.

On my bike ride home, I thought about my freshman year and some of the social pressures that were there to rush a fraternity. I then asked myself: Where is the person handing out fliers and jumping up and down telling me how awesome college is as a GDI?

Hey, I can be that guy.

Some people believe not being Greek means a lame social life, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Not being a part of Greek life makes you work harder to build relationships and venture out into new situations. Plus, it doesn’t seem worth it to strain your already tight budget with monthly dues.

Most importantly, Chico State has an inviting atmosphere that makes it easy to meet people from different places with different interests.

Intramural basketball has been a great way to meet people for me. Or even just visiting One Mile in Bidwell Park or a music performance in town with a couple of friends. There are always friendly and interesting people to meet around Chico in a wide variety of places.

Try not to feel pressure to pledge, especially if it would just be to improve your social standing. Make sure that you don’t let anyone try to change the person you are, and always remember — the coolest kids are independent.

This is my fourth year, and I love the ultimate social freedom Chico State has to offer. I am a “goddamn independent” student, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

<strong>Ian Scerri-Martin can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Greek