Hazardous materials close Columbus Avenue

Nick Caldwell

Jan. 19, 2007An abandoned vehicle leaking nitric acid closed down Columbus Avenue for more than five hours Friday afternoon.

The Chico Fire Department responded to a vehicle leaking gasoline in the 1000 block of Columbus, a block away from the railroad tracks and north of the university. Upon further investigation it was found to be a liquid from inside the vehicle so a hazardous materials response was started.

Four hazardous material technicians donned green suits and respirators to approach the vehicle, taking samples of the liquid that was in and around the vehicle which turned out to be highly acidic.

Several bottles of the liquid had spilled in the vehicle, possibly overcoming the occupant, causing the driver to crash and flee the scene.

No one has reported into Enloe Medical Center with respiratory problems, Chico Police Lt. John Carrillo said.

Residents in the area told the hazmat team that a second vehicle in a parking lot nearby was owned by the same person. Upon investigation, the second vehicle was found to have four bottles of nitric acid inside.

Agencies that responded to the hazardous materials call included the Chico Fire Department, Chico Police Department, Butte County Fire/California Department of Forestry, Butte Interagency Narcotics Task Force and Butte County Environmental Health. According to Chico Police Lt. Mike Webber, a cleaning company contracted by the California Office of Emergency Services will handle the neutralizing and disposal of the dangerous acid. The vehicles, once rendered safe by the cleaning company, will be left where they are.

Nick Caldwell can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>