Chico State Sports Shorts

It’s you, moto

Chico State racers now have the chance to fire up their motorcycles and car engines to test out their high speeds. Getting racers off the street and onto the track is a priority for Michael Scott, a Chico State professor who is building a motosports club. Students will be able to race at Thunderhill Park in Willows, volunteer at events, work to get a competitive license and practice autocross drills. Sports Car Clubs of America will be working with the club and the students who want to race. Motosport addicts can get involved, with or without a racing motorcycle or car. Students interested can contact Michael Scott at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected].</a>

Women’s soccer ends winning streak

Everything was going just as planned. Chico State women’s soccer team, the 25th-ranked team in the nation, defeated No. 12 Cal Poly Pomona 1-0 on Friday. Sunday the Wildcats faced Cal State San Bernardino, having shut out four straight opponents and going on a six-game winning streak. That is until the No. 7 team in the Far West Region ran into Kayla Humphries and the Coyotes. Humphries scored one goal and assisted on two others as San Bernardino upset the Wildcats. Chico is home for two games this weekend starting off with Cal State Dominguez Hills on Friday and Cal State L.A. on Sunday.

Men’s soccer drops well below .500

Two weekends ago the Chico State men’s soccer team looked like it was ready to make a playoff run. After scoring just two goals over the weekend and dropping two games, the Wildcats are just worried about getting back to .500. Chico lost another one-run game Friday, this time to Cal Poly Pomona, 2-1. Sunday things didn’t get any better with a 3-1 loss to Cal State San Bernardino. After Chris Wondolowski knocked in his team and North Division-leading 10th goal, the Coyotes scored three unanswered in the second half. The two losses dropped Chico’s record to 4-5 in conference and 4-9 overall. The Wildcats will face Cal State Dominguez Hills on Friday and Cal State L.A. on Sunday this weekend.

Jakovac is backovac, again

He’s done it again. The Tiger Woods of Chico State golf has struck again and, like Woods, he’s accustomed to doing it. Men’s golfer J.J. Jakovac took first place at the Grand Canyon Oak Craft Classic in Phoenix, Ariz. Jakovac shot 10 under par for the three-round tournament. As a team, the Wildcats took fourth place, just eight strokes behind the winner Cal State Bakersfield. Behind Jakovac’s 206, Brian Benedictson and Andy Barnum both finished in the top 30.

<strong>NATIONAL SPORTS SHORTS</strong>

Magic might leave L.A. for Seattle

Mr. Laker is close to leaving the sun of Southern California for the rain and coffee of the Great Northwest. Earvin “Magic” Johnson is in the middle of talks with the Seattle Supersonics about becoming a part-owner and administrator of the Sonics. In order for the Hall of Fame Laker to join Gary Payton and the Sonics, Lakers owner Jerry West would have to buy out Johnson’s 5-percent ownership of the team.