Softball team dominates, extends winning streak

Nick Cahill

April 5, 2008The softball team hosted Notre Dame De Namur in a doubleheader Saturday and sent the Argonauts home with a pair of lopsided losses.

The Wildcats momentum from the Tournament of Champions carried over and the ‘Cats extended their season high winning streak to four games. Chico State outscored Notre Dame De Namur 15-5 in the two-game series.

The Wildcats had to come from behind in the first game before winning 10-3. Kaitlyn Azevedo’s three-run home run capped off a fifth inning in which the Wildcats took the lead for good.

Azevedo also drove in two runs in the sixth inning as the Wildcats stretched their lead to seven runs. Azvedo had three hits on the day and led the team with five RBIs.

“She did a tremendous job,” head coach Jamie Brown said.

Chico State was impressive all around, giving up just five runs in two games. Pitchers Lauren Walker and Krystal Shaw kept the ‘Cats in both games, consistently ending the Argonauts’ rallies.

“Pitching has been our strength,” Brown said. “Lou gave up two, but it didn’t stop her.”

With the victories, Chico State improves to 20-21 on the season and hosts Sonoma State next weekend in a four game series. If the Wildcats win the series, they will be above .500 for the first time since February.

Nick Cahill can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>