A.S. mulling options for empty Wildcat Store space

news

Allison Weeks

Associated Students no longer sells merchandise on the second floor of the Wildcat Store.

The decision was made last semester, said Gabe Adley, A.S. vice president for facilities and services.

The Wildcat Store is going through a restructuring period, one that is common at many student unions and college bookstores.

“The bookstore is condensing because that is what the market is telling us,” Adley said.

More students are renting their materials, and fewer textbooks are being offered, so A.S. is cutting costs in whatever way it can, he said.

With the $300,000 the student-run corporation has in the budget for remodeling the second floor of Bell Memorial Union, two possibilities are being looked into.

The designs A.S. is looking at right now would exceed the $300,000 amount, but it is not known to what degree, Adley said. They are based on surveys taken nationwide and at Chico State.

“We must be good carriers of the student money, but at the same time need to provide them services they want,” he said.

The school’s student groups are in need of a meeting space for 300 people, according to data collected from the surveys, Adley said. This is the first option A.S. is looking into for the second floor of the Wildcat Store.

Another option is to turn the Government Affairs office into the 300-person meeting area, then move the office to the second floor of the store.

The move would cost more because desks and equipment would have to be put in place, as well as ventilation for those offices, Adley said.

He supports moving Government Affairs to the empty space above the Wildcat Store.

“I think it would give the BMU a totally different look, and it would give it a more permanent feel like it’s supposed to be what it is.”

<strong>Allison Weeks can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Second floor closed