‘Cats split games against Cal State Monterey Bay

Mike Wagner

March 1, 2008Efficient pitching allowed the softball team to split games with Cal State Monterey Bay this weekend, going 2-2 in double-headers played Friday and Saturday.

The ‘Cats looked solid in the first game of the series, but allowed 11 hits and committed two errors in the extra-innings loss.

“Our defense was terrible,” said head coach Jamie Brown.

Going into the seventh inning the Wildcats were down 5-2, but rallied with one out and scored three runs thanks to a RBI single by Megan Bera and a two-run double by Allison Smith.

The game proceeded into the eighth inning, but the ‘Cats allowed a run on an error and were put down in order in the bottom of the inning.

“We were able to fight back with our offense, but our defense lost it for us,” Brown said.

The next game was a complete 180 as Lauren Walker pitched a complete game and only allowed four hits in the 2-1 triumph.

The crowd’s chants of “Chico” drowned out the opposing dugout after a two-run single by Chelsea Lundberg gave the ‘Cats their only score of the game.

“Chelsea Lundberg had a very strong day,” Brown said. “Her hitting was just on.”

The third game was very similar to the second, but the ‘Cats couldn’t get a run because of some great plays made by the opposing defense in the 1-0 loss.

Gwen Cox reached first base with one of the three Wildcats’ hits and again with a walk. Krystal Shaw pitched a complete game and only allowed one run in the loss.

“Krystal lost today, but she only gave up three runs,” Brown said.

Walker won her second game with yet another complete game, striking out five batters and allowing only four hits in the 3-1 win.

The Wildcats scored all their runs in the first inning with a RBI triple by Bera and two more RBIs by Nickie Jarrett and Cooper Jackson.

“Overall, we did OK,” Brown said. “We kind of let a game get away and we can’t do that.”

The ‘Cats will play their next 11 games at home, starting with Cal State Stanislaus next weekend.

Mike Wagner can be reached at<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>