Visual, audio art join at 1078 Gallery

Orion Staff

Maria Hovar, the curator at the 1078 Gallery, wanted Friday’s art and music show to be something special. Her nonstop smile was all the evidence needed to say that the night surpassed her expectations.

Hovar, with gallery director Carla Resnick, put together a stellar list of artists and performers for the function dubbed 30 Below, paying tribute to local artists younger than 30. Hovar described the art on display as off-the-cuff modern-pop, but somewhat more contemporary.

Those who came out to the show appreciated local art and talent.

Around 7 p.m., the small-but-friendly gallery began to fill. One by one, admirers of art, friends and the casual passer-by realized what hidden treasures the gallery held.

The art on display was a testament to what can be captured by the imagination. Plain white walls provided the backdrop to colorful pieces captured through acrylics, spray-paint graffiti, oil paintings, digital color photos and awesome black-and-white photos. They all contributed to sheer awe as visitors figured what they should take away from the experience.

Musically, the night began with a classical composition performed by a brass quintet. The composer, Nathan Coy, directed the tuba, trombone, French horn and trumpet players, setting the stage for others to follow.

Crux Artist Collective, a local art studio, followed the composition. Sharing an impromptu collaborative presentation by members Terry Dote and Christine Fulton titled “A Correspondence to Boonville,” folks felt free to just sit and enjoy the presentation.

A piece of plywood was then laid for Ashley Monroe, who came to Chico four years ago from San Francisco. Monroe used tap dancing to supplement her style of art, classified as slam poetry with singing. Her first poem, “Pay I’m Right Here,” captured everybody’s attention as people urgently huddled around the plywood.

Concluding with “Endangered Species,” Monroe’s impressive poetry related her experience of being both an artist and a woman.

“Monroe’s poetry is just so powerful and makes such a strong statement,” gallery director Resnick said. “She was to the point, and it’s always so impressive to see a performance like that.”

The stage was then set for Deerpen, a rock band featuring four Chico State graduates. The band’s sound was amazing. Seamless guitar measures accompanied by equally extraordinary drumbeats caused onlookers to share glances and mouth to each other “wow.”

West by Swan, another local rock band, was second on the ticket. Musically, the band was as impressive as the night’s turnout. West by Swan has a sound all its own that flows easily, very polished and well practiced.

One highlight during West by Swan’s set was when a woman about 70 years old, with spandex tights, well-worn Birkenstocks and a tight top danced freely to the music. It was a sight to behold and West by Swan seemed to enjoy it as well, while putting together a masterful set.

Birds of Fire, an instrumental rock group, was the last band on the ticket. After the previous two incredible-sounding acts, Birds of Fire subjected listeners to its own style of rock metal music, finishing the night in a good way.

The night proved that art has no boundaries. Boundaries keep things in, while art only wants to escape. The farther away form normal it goes, the more artistic it becomes.

“The night’s success is owed to all the talent we had here,” Hovar said. “And when it’s all said and done, I am just a fan too. You can say I’m an art groupie.”

After the show was over, it would be safe to say that everyone who came felt the same way: the music was good and loud, but the art spoke volumes.

Entertainment staff can be reached at

<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>