Chico shop gets makeover

Christine MarrsStaff Writer

Downtown businesses are booming faster than the stock market, and it’s no surprise that a few new attractions might pop in this summer in the place of old favorites.

Beach It, famous for its Southern-California style clothing and swimsuits galore, is closing its doors and selling every last swimsuit and Hawaiian Tommy Bahamas shirt by May 30.

The owners are coming back with a new name and new beach attire for students, tourists and adults, and this time they’re not sticking to tradition.

“I can’t tell you our new name,” said Debbie LaPlant, founder and owner of Beach It for more than 10 years. “But I can tell you it’s going to create something very new and very unique for downtown Chico.”

LaPlant opened Beach It because she had noticed that there was a lack of surf shops in the area even though there were swimming holes all over the place and many students from places like Southern California.

“I spent years of living at the beach,” LaPlant said. “Beach It was very unique for Chico. It was the only place carrying Roxy.”

As Beach It became more popular, so did competitors. There were as many as 12 strong competitors as the market grew, LaPlant said.

Students have mixed feelings about the sudden change. Elizabeth Thrasher, a junior, said she was sad that the store was closing, but that it was also a really expensive store compared to other downtown places.

“That was one of the few cute places where you could get the surfer clothes,” Thrasher said. “It was the closest thing to a surf shop.”

LaPlant has heard rumors from all different customers saying they have heard things about a bed and breakfast or a tanning salon taking over the spot, but she said she doesn’t mind.

Although she did say that the new store would be carrying such brands as Lucy Love and Roxy, she declined to comment on any others. Customers have been barreling into her store intrigued, and the customers are excited.

“We’re still getting fresh produce to let the customers know we’re not a yard sale,” LaPlant said. “But there’s gonna be a whole lot in the new store you won’t anticipate.”

Emily Taylor said that although she’s looked in Beach It and seen a few things she likes, it seems kind of old-fashioned.

“If the store changed, I would definitely check it out,” Taylor said.

LaPlant intends to keep some of her older shoppers, she said. She wants to have a shop that younger girls, older women and tourists can enjoy. The wide age ranges are what keeps their loyal customers coming back, she said.

“There’s stuff I have that my mom can love,” said LaPlant. “It makes sense to keep it that way.”

The mystery store plans to open its doors on July 17, the same day as the famous Slice of Chico, a festival with a watermelon theme where all of Chico stores and businesses have major sales downtown along with live music and food.

“It’s kind of sad we’re closing,” LaPlant said. “But it was a really thought-out decision. It’s really exciting.”