Time capsule buried for Chico State’s 125 anniversary

news

Nicholas Carr

The university buried the first of two time capsules Friday preserving the past academic year.

With Founder’s Week drawing to a close, Chico State administrators, alumni and community members observed as a container commemorating the university’s 125 anniversary was buried in the Lemcke Camellia Garden next to Big Chico Creek.

A variety of publications, memorabilia and clothing, including letters from students, alumni and community members were placed inside.

The items commemorate the events and activities that have taken place during the university’s 125th anniversary, said Director of Alumni and Parent Relations Susan Anderson.

“I put a few books from the Wildcat Store in as well,” Anderson said, adding that the price tags might be of interest to whoever opens the container next.

The site will remain undisturbed until 2137, when the capsule will be opened for the university’s 250th anniversary, Anderson said.

Next month, a capsule will be buried by the Associated Students commemorating the class of 2013.

The time capsules for alumni classes reside across the creek in front of Kendall Hall.

Jessie Armstrong, Associated Students commissioner of student organizations and programs, is working with the Alumni Association to gather submissions.

“It’s always an experience and a huge part of history at Chico State,” Armstrong said.

In addition to items representing student life, photos and letters in remembrance of the students and faculty members who have died in the past year will be placed in the capsule, she said.

“This year I really want to focus on it to be a snapshot of what’s happened,” Armstrong said.

Working on the time capsule last year was a great experience, Armstrong said.

“I was in the Harry Potter club last year,” she said. “I got to put in a Harry Potter action figure that had ‘I solemnly swear I am up to no good’ written on the bottom.”

May 3 will be the last day for clubs and organization to donate items to the time capsule, Armstrong said. It will be buried at 2 p.m. May 7 outside Kendall Hall.

<strong style=”font-size: 12px;”>Nicholas Carr can be reached at</strong><a style=”font-size: 12px;” href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Encapsuled