Rugby team kicks off season

Bob Main

The men’s rugby team tied Oregon State 14-14 on Saturday and beat Humboldt State 26-5 on Sunday in the four-team Chico Invitational.

In the last play of the game, Oregon State scored a five-point try and was given a chance to tie the game with a two-point conversion, making good on the kick.

“It was frustrating because we were on our goal line a lot towards the end of the game,” team captain Casey Helmick said. “We’ve always had good games against Oregon State.”

Saturday’s game was played at Chico Junior High School, and the Wildcats’ cardinal red uniforms quickly turned brown as they slipped, tackled and scrambled for every inch on the muddy playing field.

On Sunday, the tournament was moved to the field behind University Stadium, where the ‘Cats faced Humboldt State under better playing conditions.

The team was able to communicate much better Sunday and found success with its offensive schemes, inside center Mike Junk said.

“Our forwards were rucking and hawking the ball really well,” Junk said.

Helmick scored the last try in the game. Chico State played a good game against one of the better Division II teams, he said.

Throughout both games, the 30 players on the field fought hard for their teams. But rugby is a contact sport, and emotions can sometimes lead to late hits and a lot of trash talk.

Helmick’s face was covered with mud, and his split lip was swelling up as he joked about losing his memory because of a blindside hit he received.

“There is only one referee for 30 guys,” Helmick said. “A lot of things go by unnoticed.”

The ‘Cats did not play as planned against Saint Mary’s, a team they will get to play in the regular season, coach Mitch Jagoe said.

“At this point, we’re not disappointed with much,” Jagoe said. “Our defense is phenomenal. We’ve had multiple goal-line stands.”

Most of the team has never played rugby before, so players such as Ted Watje, a first-year player who played rugby in high school, have been a big addition to the team, Jagoe said.

Watje scored both conversions against Oregon State on Saturday and three against Humboldt State, one of which was kicked a few feet from the out-of-bounds line.

With the regular season getting closer, Jagoe would like to see the ‘Cats continue to grow in team communication, fundamentals and consistency, he said.

“We’re in one of the toughest leagues in the nation,” Jagoe said. “If we do the right things in practice, we’re going to be a strong team this year.”

The ‘Cats will get one more preseason game Saturday against the Chico Men’s Club, a team with seven alumni from last year’s Chico State team.

Bob Main can be reached at

<a href=”mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>