Lost in Write: Devin Davis

<strong>Hitting the links</strong>

The drive flew high above the tree line before settling into a rough patch of grass just a few yards from the hole. As we hiked toward my shot, words of encouragement were passed around like the water bottle that kept us hydrated in the hot sun.

“Good shot, man,” my friend said to me with a pat on the back. “keeping your shot from disappearing is the hard part of this game.”

As we approached my try, which was markedly farther away from the hole than his, he let out a chuckle.

“Hey dude, your disc is stuck in a bush, and I’m not getting it out,” he said.

Disc golf is a game that doesn’t require the precision and hard practice of traditional golf. I quickly learned that after scoring a par on my first hole.

Of course, unlike traditional golf, the disc doesn’t actually have to enter the ground. Instead, players must hit a bell-like metal post, most of which are cemented in coffee cans.

Though persistence and hard work may improve your handicap on a regular golf course, wind and disc throwing technique are just about all that is needed to turn a regular Frisbee tosser into a veritable professional disc golfer.

Well, that and $50. With a quick visit to the professional disc golf association Web site, you too can be a professional. According the site, the association is “a nonprofit organization dedicated to promotion of the sport of disc golf worldwide.” Well, that I don’t know about, but I’d rather play at the amateur level than pay fifty bucks for a magazine and a little card. Besides, amateur status isn’t all that bad.

Discs cost around five bucks each, and it is best to have a couple to throw. Heavier than traditional Frisbees, golf discs come in a variety of sizes and weights. Usually, one of the discs should be a little lighter for close shots.

There are several disc golf courses here in Chico. There is even one on Chico State’s campus, though it is an unofficial course. For my money (though it doesn’t cost a dime), the best course in Chico is right up Highway 32.

With 36 holes and a breathtaking view of both Chico and Upper Bidwell Park, the course offers a good time at just the right price: free. As a special added bonus, it tends to be a bit cooler at the course than in town. Of course, there are days when the wind isn’t there. While that helps out with keeping scores low, it also adds heavily to the sweat factor.

In another couple of months, winter will takes it toll and make the course relatively uninhabitable for play but, until then, you can find me with disc in hand.

<em>Devin can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>