Wildcats stumble on day two

Sophomore first baseman Desiree Gonzalez. Photo courtesy of Chico State.
Sophomore first baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez. Photo courtesy of Chico State.

Gonzalez.jpg
Sophomore first baseman Desiree' Gonzalez. Photo courtesy of Chico State.

After winning two out of three games on day one, the softball team lost both games Saturday in Turlock.

Chico State lost to Simon Fraser 9-6 and and Western Washington 5-3.

In game one against Fraser, the Wildcats struck first in the very first inning on a single by Desiree’ Gonzalez. But the early 1-0 lead wouldn’t last as Fraser knocked around starter Brooke Langeloh for four runs in the first.

The Wildcats cut into Fraser’s 4-1 lead in the second with two runs crossing home plate on a fielder’s choice and a wild pitch. Like the first inning, Fraser kept on the ‘Cats heels and matched the team in the second inning. Fraser would score two runs in the second, taking the score 6-3.

Gonzalez cut into Simon Fraser’s lead with a single that scored in two runs in the fourth inning. Trimming Fraser’s lead to only one. Fraser bounced back again with two runs in the fourth, and Chico State’s last run of the game came in the fifth inning on a Sammi Ridgway single.

In the second game, despite the Wildcats’ ability to out-hit Western Washington 12-6, the ‘Cats lost the game 5-3.

Like game one, it was a Gonzalez single that opened up the scoring and once again Chico State had the early 1-0 lead. It was the fourth inning where Western Washington did the damage, scoring in four runs.

Gonzalez came through with a single once again and cut Washington’s lead 4-2. Washington would again score in the sixth inning but it was Gonzalez who would have the last run of the game on a solo homer.

The Wildcats are now 2-3 in the Tournament of Champions.

Angelo Boscacci can be reached at [email protected] or @Boscacci6 on Twitter.