Three arrests made in weekend shooting

Chico Police examine bullet shell casings at Chico Trailer Haven at 1412 Nord Ave. Photo credit: Matthew Vacca

ShootingWEB.jpg

Police arrested three people in connection with suspected gang-related shootings Sunday afternoon at a trailer park on Nord Avenue.

No one was injured at the scene of the shooting, said Chico police Sgt. Cesar Sandoval.

This is the third shooting this weekend, with the first two on Saturday night.

The Sunday drive-by shooting occurred at Chico Trailer Haven on the 1400 block of Nord Avenue. Witnesses saw a black Chevrolet sport utility vehicle pull up to a group of people and open fire, according to a police report.

No one was injured in the shooting. The group that was fired at left the scene and were not identified by police.

The officer responding to the call saw a car matching the description of the drive-by shooters’ vehicle and chased it down Nord Avenue to West Sacramento Street, eventually cornering it in Klondike Court, said Chico Police Lt. David Britt.

The officer drew her firearm and waited for backup to arrest those in the vehicle.

Chico Police did not release the names of those arrested but did say that two adults and one juvenile were in the car.

There were no weapons found inside the vehicle at the time of arrest, but there was undisclosed evidence in the car which linked the occupants to the shooting, Britt said.

This shooting is on the heels of two gang-related shootings late Saturday. At around 10:50 p.m., police received reports of a drive-by shooting by a red Toyota sedan at a group of people at the University Court Apartments on West First Avenue and Klondike Court, near the place where the suspects of Sunday’s shooting fled. No one was injured in the shooting.

At around 11:50 p.m. Saturday, two unknown Hispanic males shot at another male near LaSalles Bar on Broadway Street. The man was hit in his torso.

The injured man left the scene of the crime before police showed up and was found near West Second and Broadway streets. He was transported to Enloe Medical Center for surgery.

Britt could not say whether there would be more gang-related shootings in the near future, but did not rule out the possibility.

“Obviously, if we’ve had three [shootings] in less than a 24-hour period, there could be more,” said Britt.

The Chico Police Department has given the shooting cases to the gang unit, which will be continuing the investigation.

Enrique Raymundo can be reached at [email protected] or @ERaymundoCV on Twitter.