Humans of Chico State: Tattoos

human1(1)web.jpg
Jenny Barker, graduate student of kinesiology and exercise physiology, takes a study break to show off her tattoo by Selvester’s Cafe-by-the-Creek. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“I got this in 2007 right when I graduated with my bachelor’s from Cincinnati, and my grandma had just passed away prior. She had a lot of flowers and dogwoods and was really into birds and had a lot of finches because we’re from Ohio, and so I got a finch and some dogwoods. The guy who did it, did it in three hours and he did a beautiful job. He now owns his own portrait work tattoos shop in Cincinnati and I’ve kind of kept up on his work just cause he’s an amazing, detailed tattoo artist.”

human2web.jpg
Mark Polonsky, a fifth-year public relations major, explains that his tattoo inspiration comes from his parents and his love for art. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“I like art. My arms are for my parents – what my parents like. It’s not done. My leg is the melting clocks by Salvador Dali. He’s my favorite artist. My entire leg is by him because I like his art. He was a surrealist.”

What inspired you for your mom and dad’s tattoo?

“She likes orchids so I make the arm flowers and stuff. My dad is a Sagittarius, so I got that, and the piano is for my grandpa because he was a professional player.”

human3web.jpg
Hailey Sparlin, a junior food and nutrition science major, shows off one of her many tattoos, some of which were applied with pin needles by friends. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“The quote is ‘Fire walk with me,’ from a television show called ‘Twin Peaks’ that was on air in the ’90s. It’s kind of like a pop culture reference type of a thing because I’m really into the show. The blue rose is a symbol of the show. It’s very significant to me. A lot of people don’t understand it. Most people are shocked when I say it’s from Twin Peaks, at least older people, because it came out before I was even born. It’s my favorite because it hurt the most and nobody ever gets to see it unless I lift up my top for them, so it’s a little surprise.”

Annie Page can be reached at [email protected] or @anniepaige3 on Twitter.