Humans of Chico State: Life purpose

hocsmeaning1.jpg
Neida Garcia, sophomore, explains that even with financial struggles, reaching your goals is most important. Photo credit: Annie Paige

What is the meaning and purpose of your life?

I think the purpose of my life is to help people, because I like helping people. Coming from the education and financial background that I came from, I understand how stressful and hard it is to go for your goals. You think about how, “Oh I don’t have enough money to do what I want, so why should I waste my time trying to go to college?” But for me, I want to help people go over the obstacles and be like, “You know what, it doesn’t matter what my background is. If I want something, I’ll go get it.” That’s the purpose: to help people reach their goals.

What’s your background?

I come from a big family. We (have) 11 kids actually, and I’m the sixth one, and I’m the only one in my entire family that came to college. So for me, it’s a huge step. We didn’t have enough money. My parents, I don’t want to say they didn’t support me, but in their head, they’re like, “We don’t have enough money to support you.” But I got financial aid and I’m getting the help I need and I’m here. I made it.

If you had a life motto, what would it be?

“In order to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up.”

hocsmeaning2.jpg
Wesley True, senior sustainable manufacturing major, talks about how attaining goals and being nice are the meaning and purpose of his life. Photo credit: Annie Paige

I’d probably just have to go with making something of myself for the most part. In today’s society, there’s a lot of things out there that people can do and you kind of have to figure out your spot. Figure out where you’re going, figure out what you want to do with it and actually set goals, and achieve those goals. If you don’t have any goals to work toward, you’re really not going to make any forward progress whatsoever. My meaning and purpose of life is to reach those goals.

What are your goals?

High paying job, successful career. Not necessarily get those right off the bat when I get out of college, but eventually work up to it. Make people happy for the most part, try to bring joy to people’s lives, not bring other people down.

If you had a life motto or slogan, what would that be?

I’m gonna have to take one out of my friend Sam McNairn. He passed away a few years ago and he always said, “Life is funny.” So I’m just gonna have to stick with that one and say life is funny.

hocsmeaning3.jpg
Kayla Casillas, senior child development major, explains that making most of each and every day is important. Photo credit: Annie Paige

I think to help other people, and specifically to help children and shape theirs lives by teaching them.

What inspired you?

Both my grandparents are teachers and I have always cared for people and had a passion for helping others. The way I see my family interacting with others inspires me.

If you had a life motto or slogan, what would it be?

Live life to the fullest because you never know what could happen tomorrow.

Why that motto?

Life is really short and anything can happen. I have had people close to me who’ve died young, and you know, they were aspiring to do all this stuff but they didn’t get to do it.

hocsmeaning4.jpg
Darius Kusha, senior marketing major, explains that he doesn't know what his overall purpose of life is, but finishing school is his goal right now. Photo credit: Annie Paige

Overall, I don’t know, but for now the meaning of my life here at Chico is to pass my classes and get good grades so I can get my degree. But the meaning of overall life, that’s a good question.

If you had one rule to live by, what would it be and why?

Find a way to make money doing what you love, because otherwise you’ll be making money doing something you hate. You won’t be happy, and it’s more important to find satisfaction in a job than making money doing something that you don’t enjoy.

Annie Page can be reached at [email protected] or @anniepaige3 on Twitter.